Using 3DS Max 20xx

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Xi.Cynx, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Xi.Cynx

aa Xi.Cynx Former Alias: †Blade†

Positive Ratings:
    So I have been watching this extremely looong tutorial from Lynda.com. 3DS Max 2011 Essential Training, cause I want to get into modeling stuff for TF2. But one thing it hasn't covered yet and I am quite curious about it how to export/import a model into 3DS Max. I'm sure I could google it but I know there are a few people around here that could easily explain it for me and any other future modelers that stumble along this exact same question. =) A nice 1), 2), 3) list like process would be nice but if that's not your style I'll work with what ya type out. Thanks in advance! This stuff is fun! :O:O:O

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    1.) For exporting you will need Wunderboy's .smd export plugins for 3ds Max. www.wunderboy.org

2.) You posted this in the wrong place. Someone move this to the Mapping and Tutorials section.

3. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
  4. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    and what about for importing? Like, if I want to view a current tf2 model in the program?
    Ohh and one more thing not to be a hassle, but how would you go about texturing a model in 3ds Max?
    Youme what are you using to do all of your modeling?

Also I posted it in that thread cause this technically isn't mapping related or a tutorial and it dealt with modeling and I searched for something a long these lines and found a post where Boojum said that there wasn't a particular thread for modeling questions so that one has kind of became it. Ohh well though, no biggy, just stating why I posted it in there.

5. eyefork

eyefork L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    [For 3DS Max]

You'd have to extract the .mdl files (and reference files) of the model from the .gcf using GCFScape.

[​IMG]

Next thing, open up the .mdl file you extracted in a text editor. On the first line you'll see IDST followed by a fifth character. Change the fifth character to a comma, then save.

[​IMG]

Now open up MDLDecompiler (this needs to be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin to work properly). Select the I/O directories, uncheck all boxes, then decompile. These are the files it dumps:

[​IMG]

The main model is the non-lod reference at the top. So we'll use this 3DS Max .smd importer.

[​IMG]

'Nother thing. Valve has the .smd files for character models available so you don't have to go through this awesomeness if you're trying to make a hat or weapon or whatever. They're here (in the sub-directories): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\tf\modelsrc\player

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  6. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks! K, now let's see if I can get something done!

Hmm... Well I got everything going good except the mdlcompiler-thingy. This is an error I get when I select the location and click Extract.

Edited the .mdl file as shown:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the location of the program:
    [​IMG]

And when I tried unchecking that Use steam paths box I got the following:
    [​IMG]

7. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Have you unchecked "Use Steam File Access"

8. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    That is what I had meant I had unchecked. Lol.
    And I got it to work with w_weapons, just not v_weapons. So I guess I just won't be able to check out any of those.. :/

I lied, I didn't really get it to work, all it did was dump the qc file but none of the .smd files. Weird.

9. eyefork

eyefork L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Don't use wordpad. Use notepad. v_weapons work fine too :)

10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I use xvi32 its free and awesome.

Dunno who this Youme chap is though.

11. Rexy

Positive Ratings:
    Everyone is always working too hard to decompile models. Download Crafty, use the model browser to navigate to the model of your choice and right click, export. Crafty spits out a .obj file, friendly to every 3D package out there. No messy hex editing, no hassle.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  12. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    @Rexy, Do the .obj include any bones that the model may have? Or is it just the mesh? I didn't realize Crafty had that capability.

Alternativly to Crafty there is a hacked decompiler, specifically for tf2 stuff so you don't have to change that dasterdly 0 into a , when you want to convert the model.
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tools/3270

Also you might find this whole tutorial helpful. He aims at making a glock for Counter-Strike Source but, the modelling process, uv mapping, and rigging and animation was very easy to follow and he goes over alot of stuff that can be helpful to know for modelling in 3ds. You wouldn't have to complete the whole thing if your just trying to make props, but I did and I got a weapon into CSS the other day and the best part is I feel I can make another without checking back on the tutorial. All it requires is time and dedication. Hope this helps!
    http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/creating-a-weapon-for-source

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  13. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Crafty doesn't give out QCs like mdldecompiler as far as I'm aware.

Making it vastly inferior.

14. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    404 - Not Found

Think you might be able to zip/rar the videos back up and upload them somewhere for us to download? I got that error when clicking on the download link. =(

15. Rexy

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, all you get is the mesh and the material, but if that's all you're looking for it's a time saver!

16. SiniStarR

Positive Ratings:
    God damn this took forever to upload to Dropbox. Warning this file is over 2GB. Comes with all the videos and materials to the tutorial I mentioned above. I'll keep this is up for as long as it has to be. If I ever run out of space in Dropbox, this will probably be the first thing to go, although I should be alright for a lonnnnng time. ;)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/934540/Glock Tutorial.rar

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Poor Dropbox. I wont be using this as I'm trying to just stick to innocent ol' Blender an the Tutorial won't be very applicable. How much beter is 3DSMax?

EDIT: Oh, it turns out I've got a [COMPLETELY LEGIT AND ETHICAL] copy of 2009 lying around on my Hard drive. Time to Install.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  18. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    I would delete that before a site staff comes around...

19. SiniStarR

Positive Ratings:
    Oh right one last thing! The guy's tutorial while great does get somewhat misconstrued a bit when he talks about applying textures, at least I had trouble understanding it, so just as a heads up but that isnt til the end. :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    Awesome! Now I can finally find out how to make something decently. All the other tutorials/videos I find are ones that are in fast forward mode with crazy music playing. Lol