1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

-=urgent sos call=-

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Mick-a-nator, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    Some of you may know me from the chat or from the former WIP thread. For those who don't, or have forgotten, I am new to mapping but it has not stopped me creating an, I think, half-decent map. Now I have reached a (metaphorical) brick wall (or two).

I require the assistance of ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO CAN OPTIMISE MAPS. Not only this help me with this map but I will use the map to work out for myself the next time.

I will update this post with a link to the base file and how to access me with entries.

Thank you all.

PS: Here is the download link... http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1226

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. NightHawK

NightHawK L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try doing it first. Seems like your being lazy. :( It's pretty easy to learn when you get try it yourself. Learn From Trial And Error. :p

3. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    Thx for the suggestion but I tried that and nearly broke my PC. I can't learn by trial and error, I suppose I'm too stubborn.

4. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    i highly doubt that your first map would need any optimization, because of low brush/prop count.

Yes getting into a good habit is.. well good, but i wouldnt worry about ti just yet. In the mean time while-you-map i would check out the link in my sig with has a lot of stuff to do with optimizations.

5. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    first maps often have rather a high prop count, since it doesn´t take much to place them in comparison to brushing out a good looking building :)

you need to learn general optimization first hand, that is try and error

look at decompiled valve maps as orientation & the optimization links in DJive´s sig

in general look into:
    proper layout
    func_detail
    func_lod
    areaportals
    hint-brushes
    viewdistances
    nodraw

it wont help you much if somebody does the dirtywork for you, you´ll not learn that way
    there are plenty of tutorials on that topic

i believe everyone here went through this rough school and came out exhausted but shining

6. Pink_Panther

Pink_Panther L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Tell ya what. If you send me the vmf at postaudioguy@yahoo.com I will look through it for you. I will write down as many techniques I can think of that will help you learn what and what not to do. I did this for another person and I couldnt believe the improvement of mapping ability afterwords...

but, i need this file by 15 Apr afternoon so I can look through it before i leave for a month.

warning: im brutally honest, if a brush is wrong I will point it out. If its right, i will point it out. Its not being mean, its just what I think you need to know so you can improve your abilities. I will also never say 'its crap' or other meaningless opinions. Just techniques, brushwork, ways to improve skill, ways to speed up mapping, ways to optimize your map for users, etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you all for your interest in this topic. I have realised that the map is still incomplete (cp's and more props needed) but I would still like help with optimising. It may not have much effect on the MAP but will greatly help ME to do the same in the future. I know many of you believe that doing it your self is a good way to learn but it just doesn't work for me, I need a reference to work from, preferably adding to something I have already done. The best way I learn is to watch someone and have them talk to me in person (not vid so much), this is the closest thing I've got. I go now to upload my file.

8. piginawig

piginawig L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Want to know how I learned to optimize my maps?

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/7878

I watched every single one of those videos to learn how. I doubt you will learn much from going through your map when someone else has done it for you.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    @DJive:
    the link piginawig provided is a great ressource, can you put it into your tutorial collection?

10. ikem

ikem L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    i personally opened his map and he has like nothing func_detailed, theres a start, even his spytech floating snark stairs are still world geometry

11. Pink_Panther

Pink_Panther L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    you have mail...

Hopefully the review helps you learn some techniques to get closer to that 'optimized map' your looking for.

12. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    One thing, you pointed out my glass had only one side textured, this is 'cos it's a breakable_surf, and it MUST only have one side textured. The rest is good though, thx again.