Upscaled props fading at obscure angles problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Fragancia, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Fragancia

Fragancia L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with recompiled stock props that I scaled up with the $scale qc command
    They are disappearing in plain sight and I don't know what to do for solving that issue.
    I'm not well-versed with how models work in source so I ask if any of you guys know anything I can do to solve the issue?

[​IMG]

2. BigfootBeto

aa BigfootBeto My favorite color is Green

Positive Ratings:
    Looks to me like the prop stops rendering whenever you can't see the prop origin anymore. My guess is that it's a graphics settings issue, but I'm really not sure. Something else to investigate probably.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fragancia

Positive Ratings:
    I tried a max quality fps to see if it's the graphics settings but no it still stops rendering so I think what you said about the origin might be it. Anything I could use to force it to stay visible regardless?

4. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator trigger_hiss

Positive Ratings:
    Try removing the BBox and CBox sections from the QC and recompiling the prop then.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Every model has a bounding box that the engine uses for, among other things, culling the model out of a player's view.
    Usually when compiling a model, this bounding box is defined automatically, but decompile tools for models generate QC's that manually define this box, and it doesn't change when you scale your model up, so the engine will try to cull the model as if it were much smaller. To get rid of this, redefine the bounding box yourself using the BBox and CBox sections, or (simpler) remove them altogether as Alligator tells you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Fragancia

Positive Ratings:
    Commenting out $bbox did the trick!
    Thank you guys for your time helping me out.

7. Lampenpam

Lampenpam L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also iirc the $scale command only affects things behind it (or before? ) so alternativly you could probably just have rearanged the commands in the QC. Well it doesnt matter anymore as you solved the problem but I think it may be useful to know that the $scale command works this wsy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  8. Fragancia

Positive Ratings:
    I'm aware that you have to specify the $scale command before any .smd references otherwise the prop won't scale up.
    Thank you anyways.