Upgrading from old SDK

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Micnax, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    So I've been out of the mapping game for a while (November 2013 to be precise) and since then, TF2 has updated to the VPK filesystem... and it broke the SDK. I heard it was fixed, but I have no idea how to go about opening Hammer anymore with my old maps.

When I open the SDK from the Tools menu and open a map in Hammer, I'm greeted with two lovely errors that then force-close Hammer:

[​IMG]

Now, the first one I have no idea how to fix, but the second is clearly because the new directories for the game have moved. I tried moving my old models+texture folders into the tf/custom/custom_stuff folder but it still cannot find them.

Any suggestions?

2. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Run hammer.bat in your team fortress/bin folder once (sets up stuff for Hammer), then run hammer.exe in the same folder. I've created a shortcut to hammer.exe on my desktop so it's like an app for me. You should kind of bypass those problems you're confronted with currently if you start from your bin folder, the SDK is kind of obsolete now if I understand correctly.

3. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  4. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Technically you're supposed to run the bat every time.

I also recommend going to the Control Panel->System->Advanced->Environment Variables and delete the VPROJECT variable, as that is set by the old SDK can can interfere with the batch files doing the right thing.

5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Really? I haven't ran the bat since the very first time I switched over.

6. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks guys, that did the trick. Strange that they don't make the SDK link to the proper place any more but hey, it's Valve :p

7. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    The scripts have logic to set the VPROJECT permanently, but it's commented out so it doesn't actually do anything.

If running Hammer.exe works properly something else probably made it permanent.

8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Also make sure you're running the latest of Boojum's pack resourcy thing otherwise you'll get a ton of crashes.

9. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    as a non-user of abspack i disagree

unless of course you mean that one ammopack crash that outdated abspack caused

10. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Delete VProject? No, much better, correct it!