Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 1 Star

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

BlueDarkness

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2009
Hey there people of TF2Maps.net

I'm BlueDarkness and am relatively new to the site, but not to Hammer and the idea of making maps. The problem is I've never been able to get feedback from anyone other than myself, so I often quit a map and never go back to it.

Hopefully that will change, I give you cp_untitled. Yes, not a very good name (yet). It is a 3-stage CP map with 2 control points per stage (very similar to Dustbowl). The map moves gradually from wooded terrain to high tech. There is a slight fog as well as some rain (though hard to see because of lighting).

As you can probably tell from my screenshots, the map is FAR from complete :facepalm. Many of the dynamic entities are still needing to be tweaked and for that matter I NEED quite a few entities including health and ammo. There are no player clips at the moment, so yes you can jump over the walls. There are no tunnels at the moment and the "tunnels" I have still have some issues.

I have put the map up on the site not because it is complete, but because I need feedback in order to make it play better. Please if you are going to comment don't remind me about the big wall in front of the very last control point (I was in a rush) or for that matter any of the walls and other barriers. Please tell me where items would be needed and where cover is required. Stuff like that would help me out a little more.

If I had to put a map "Version" suffix it would most likely be _a2 just due to my previous testing.

Thank you for taking the time to look at it!

Last edited:

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
well without downloading it, I can tell from the screenshots that it is extrememly open, i.e. sniper will be everywhere, you need more cover thats for sure. Ill dll and take a look around

EDIT:

Well to begin, I explored the entire map and found numbeous problems. Please take this advice as constructive criticism not "why this map is bad", it's and alpha and it's from what I understand never been play tested.

To begin, right from blue spawn, you can rocketjump or sticky jump out of the spawn during setup time. While useful maybe during gameplay, its pointless during setup time.
cp_untitled0012.jpg

cp_untitled0013.jpg

My second issue is that unimaginable amount of spots for sniper's to camp. Even inside the blu spawn, people can get sniped very easily from the snipers nest. Not to mention there is a set of stairs that leads to the ceiling...
Besides that, the amount of vantage points on the first point (i'd even say the other points too) is way to numberous in numbers. Some areas could allow a sniper to shoot from across the map which is a big NONO.
cp_untitled0002.jpg
cp_untitled0001.jpg
cp_untitled0000.jpg
cp_untitled0004.jpg
cp_untitled0007.jpg

There is simply too many sniping spots, I would remove a bunch and make some areas less hallway like, make corners, which brings me to the next problem, There is too much walking! Or at least it feels that way with long stretches of walking to get from place to place. To put it simply, If I had to noclip as a Scout there is a BIG PROBLEM!
cp_untitled0016.jpg
cp_untitled0017.jpg
cp_untitled0010.jpg

The lack of playerclipping is an issue too, People shouldn't be able to walk "on top" of the walls unless it's an element your trying to flesh out, if it is then make the wall thicker and have some non accessible areas.
cp_untitled0006.jpg

On one of the points you can go upstairs and into a small hole where the point is, while this is kinda nice, there are some problems, simply the hole needs to be larger and the way to access this area shouldnt be just a staircase that is in front of the point...
cp_untitled0018.jpg

Aside from this, there were alot of problems with doors and invisible walls which got really annoying sometimes. The last point needs alot of work, the area is too constricted and not to mention when you run up the stairs it is really weird because the screen jitters alot. Also on the last point, there is a weird trigger brush there that you cannot pass and the geometry on the other side flickers. Fix that.
cp_untitled0026.jpg
cp_untitled0027.jpg

There were a bunch of areas that had no strategic value and/or deadends.
cp_untitled0023.jpg

I would take alot of work fixing some of these things, For some areas I would use some elevation so that the defensive team can only access it by rocket jumping or sticky jumping (think Gravelpit), I'd say its a good start but it's way to big and too many flaws with the design at the moment. I wouldnt playtest until a number of these issues are fixed.

Last edited:

BlueDarkness

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2009
lol just about to make Player Clips right before I read that. Thanks ;)

Edit: So list of things to fix:

1. Fewer Sniper locations
2. Sticky/Rocket defense
3. Less walking
4. Create player clips
5. Create more cover
6. Watch out for any obstructions that can't be seen

And I don't plan on keeping most of those walls there. I might flesh them out into a cliff or other barrier, but they are mainly there to show general walking paths.

Last edited:

Garner

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
Everything sooms so square aswell, try and implement some rounder geometry, some displacements, and some proper lighting. The general feel im getting is places are either too open or too cramped.

but since its an alpha i will look forward to see what you do with them map =]
All the best