[UNSOLVED] Problems regarding packing custom content.

EvilTree

L1: Registered
May 12, 2017
I've spent eight hours looking around the web for possible solutions and turned up dry. Hopefully somebody here finds something stupid I overlooked, or something I haven't tried.

Problem:
Packing custom texture files and a 2D Skybox into a map not working for me. This problem first became noticeable when sending an early version of my map to a friend for feedback. Hall-of-mirrors style skybox problem and the purple-black checkered-texture problem.

- Both the custom textures and custom 2D Skybox were created according to the Valve Developer Community website. I've double checked both with that site as well as other online guides, including ones from these forums.

- I've tried packaging with both Pakrat and VIDE, multiple times.

- Testing my map locally works fine. Everything renders properly. The map has no leaks.

- I have tried packaging and then running the map on sv_pure 2 locally, yielding the same results my friend sent screenshots of to me. However, using GCFScape verifies that I did package the content.

What might I be missing?

EvilTree

May 12, 2017
Thank you for the suggestion. Interestingly, while this time it did say "6 materials found" in the packing log (the skybox textures, I assume; I have removed custom textures in an attempt to ship just the custom skybox), and did successfully load locally on sv_pure 2, none of my friends are seeing the skybox still.

Last edited:

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Check how you are adding the custom assets to the game. Packaging tools assume that some of the locations the game looks in are only used for stock content and should not be packed.

EvilTree

May 12, 2017
The custom textures were placed in tf/materials/mytextures.
The custom skybox is under tf/materials/skybox.
I have tried both manual packing (picking the files from my directory) and automatic/scan (the program does it for me).