Unofficial Contest: MCL's Sizzlin' Spookfest (with $500 in prizes)!

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
poster.png

UPLOAD THREAD

What's the scariest thing you can think of? Ghosts? Spiders? The relentless march of time? How about the fact that average global temperatures continue to rise year after year at an alarming rate? Someone should probably do something about that.

What was I talking about? Ah, yes. Team Fortress 2. I want you (yes, you) to make a spooky Halloween-themed map this summer! But not just any old run-of-the-mill map with some pumpkins strewn about. You'll need to be more creative than that.

Make a Halloween-themed map using a vanilla gamemode, but incorporate some custom or unconventional gameplay mechanic into it!

The deadline has been extended to September 15th!

Rules:

1. The map should be Halloween-themed in some capacity. It doesn't have to be strictly "conventional" Halloween. Just something that gives off a spooky atmosphere (so something like ancient Egypt would be perfectly acceptable!)

2. The map must use a stock gamemode. This means any mode used in an official TF2 map (e.g., Control Points, Payload, KoTH, Player Destruction, etc), and must work in a standard 12v12 setting without the use of any plugins or server tweaks.

3. The map must incorporate at least one impactful custom gameplay mechanic. Think a unique kind of underworld mechanic, pickups that give special status effects, shrinking/growing players, Scooby Doo-esque doors that lead to one another, etc. Get creative with it! Bonus points if you can incorporate it into your theme!

4. You may detail/artpass your map, but this is not mandatory beyond basic "alpha" details to get the point across. Gameplay will be the most important aspect, but nice visuals/theming will get you bonus points.

5. The contest starts NOW and ends at midnight GMT on September 1st September 15th (extended!). After the deadline, you will have a 24 hour grace period to submit last-minute fixes and tweaks. A submission thread will be created closer to the deadline.

Prizes (via PayPal or gift card):

1st Place: $300 USD
2nd Place: $150 USD
3rd Place: $50 USD

FAQ

Can I collaborate with others?

Yes you can! For the sake of fairness, teams of up to 3 collaborators are allowed (specify this when submitting). If you place in the top three, the prize will be split evenly between you.

Can I use custom assets?
Yes. Any custom assets made/published before the start of the contest are fair game (with permission from the creators, of course). If you are making new assets for the sake of the contest, the creators will count as members of your team.

Can I use a map I started before the contest began?
For the sake of fairness, the map layout must be made from scratch for the contest. If you just started on a map not long before the contest was announced, contact me and I will most likely make an exception.

The rules say vanilla gamemodes only. What about Invade CTF?
I'll allow it. You may put a custom spin on your chosen gamemode if you would like, but try to keep the core gameplay fairly close to stock TF2. Your custom gameplay mechanics should add some spice to your dish without completely overpowering it (Think of them like garlic. Add too much and you'll make the whole thing taste like garlic and kill all those vampires you wanted to have for the sake of ambience).

Can I use existing halloween mechanics (like spells and pumpkin bombs) in addition to my custom one(s)?
Sure! Just try not to overdo it. See the garlic thing above.

Can I playtest/iterate on the map before the deadline?
Of course! Feel free to submit your map to the standard testing queue at any point up until the deadline. After submissions close, I will be hosting playtests of every submission!

How will the maps be scored?
I will be scoring each map from 0 to 100 in each of the following categories:

- Layout/Gameplay
- Custom Mechanic(s)
- Visuals/Theming
- Overall Experience

The maps will then be ranked based on their total scores. Depending on the level of interest/number of submissions, I may also incorporate a public vote.

The contest begins now. You have until September 1st 15th. Good luck!

UPLOAD THREAD

Last edited:

Brokkhouse

I'm sorry Mario, your logic is in another instance
Server Staff
Oct 9, 2021
Looking forward to the results of this. I am getting a little tired of the same-old halloween formula (pumpkinds everywhere and a dark skybox), so hopefully this will spice things up a bit.

Muddy and I will be collaborating on an entry.

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
I have gotten a lot of requests to extend the deadline, so the deadline has been extended to September 15th!

Good luck!

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Hey don't forget to make an Upload thread, people will be really frustrated if they miss uploading due a short upload duration