Ungrouping

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Jimmy Nicholls, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Jimmy Nicholls

Jimmy Nicholls L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    As part of learning to map in tf2 I'm going through some decompiled Valve maps and pulling them apart to see how they were made. There's a building on Gravelpit that is grouped together. I've moved it to a new file to get a better look at it, but it's grouped together. I keep selecting ungroup but the pieces stay together. What gives?

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You have to use the select options on the right, You'll see "groups, objects, solids" Groups are what you have, objects are like entities specifically, solids are for well, what they say. The last 2 will allow you to look and pull pieces off.

3. Jimmy Nicholls

Jimmy Nicholls L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you very much sir ;)

4. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    No problemo.

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    That didn't really answer his question. Looks like he's trying to "ungroup" a bunch of brushes that are not in fact grouped, but actually a func_detail. You need to select "Move to World" from the same menu.

6. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    That's right, the buildings in Gpit are Func_details.

Keep in mind that's not exactly the 'best way' to build. It works in Gpit because each area (Blue, A,B,C) are all one large area, but sealed off from each other good.

Making those buildings world spawn would cut up the vis into a ton of visleafs , and since they are full of windows you'd never be able to seal them anyway. So func_detailing probably reduces the visleafs in the area by 1/4 which is a pretty big optimization.

In that case it's better to have everything render at once then having a million leafs and probably still rendering 75% of everything anyway.

Most maps though are sealed more, have more solid walls, fewer windows, larger buildings. So func_detailing the buildings in Well for example (center point of CP_Well) would be worse for performance.

7. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    Ctrl + Shift + W Returns func_detail'd brushes to the world
    I believe thats the shortcut for it anyway, I use it all the time when I'm mapping out alpha's. (I tend to func_detail a lot when working with rounded brushes)