Underwell

KotH Underwell 2017-12-17

Orangepumpkin7

L2: Junior Member
Nov 24, 2017
Underwell - Symmetrical rectangular king of the hill map.

My first ever published map, only have been using Hammer Editor for a few days. A really great program and I hope to use it a lot more in the future.

Note: I am a n00b and I am too dumb to get a proper overlay(s) on the map working, also I can't, for now, get a 3D skybox working as well. But, bare with me.

The ProfesSIR

L1: Registered
Feb 25, 2017
Seems very good. However, have a few general suggestions:
1. Don't detail with displacements or a lot of props in alpha stages
Detailing should be saved for beta stages. It makes it so, while in alpha, you can make drastic changes if you need to. In beta, you should be to the point where you aren't changing that much.
2. For KOTH maps, try to not leave the point so open.
Leaving the point open like that allows for severe tide changes. All it takes is a few well placed stickies, or one crocket...
But hey, for a first publish, it's solid.
And, it is a1, so there is a TON of changes that are going to happen. Most finished maps look nothing like the lay out of the original concept.
Great work.:engieyay:

Orangepumpkin7

L2: Junior Member
Nov 24, 2017
Seems very good. However, have a few general suggestions:
Detailing should be saved for beta stages. It makes it so, while in alpha, you can make drastic changes if you need to. In beta, you should be to the point where you aren't changing that much.
2. For KOTH maps, try to not leave the point so open.
Leaving the point open like that allows for severe tide changes. All it takes is a few well-placed stickies or one crocket...
But hey, for a first publish, it's solid.
And, it is a1, so there is a TON of changes that are going to happen. Most finished maps look nothing like the layout of the original concept.
Great work.:engieyay:

Thanks, I'll for sure take that into consideration. Although it is in its early stage as a map, I still figured that small displacements would work well in the map even this early, I don't know if I am going to change much else, maybe a 3D skybox, or a few new textures and overlays, but nothing too drastic. early when I first started making it, I noticed how bad the sight-lines were and I couldn't really think on how to fix them, my friend recommended adding the steel sheets, I thought It was a good idea to add them. I think the map overall works pretty well aside from the few issues that you had mentioned, which can be easily fixed. I think one more version and I might just stop with Underwell. Another reason I've considered stopping working on it was that, well, I had actually been working on two maps. Which is not a very smart thing to do, especially as a newbie to Hammer. I just wanted to get it out of the way so I could work on my next map, Which I am VERY excited for. But in summary, one day I will make another version maybe fixing those "Issues"

But I will take your advice and work on it a bit to make it more enjoyable.
Thanks for the feedback, Kind regards.

-Orangepumpkin7

Last edited:

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
This isn't necessarily true. You can use props and displacements in alphas if you want, it's just full-on detailing (things like surrounding scenery, secret hidden spytechy rooms and things like that) that's discouraged, since it makes changing large portions of your map much harder to do.