Underwater Look Issues 2

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
The water brush is not tied to any entity right? and which water texture are you using?
Are you sure there aren't any leaks, and have no areaportal or viscluster brushes going through the water?

Motanum

L2: Junior Member
Jan 30, 2011
The water brush is not tied to any entity right? and which water texture are you using?
Are you sure there aren't any leaks, and have no areaportal or viscluster brushes going through the water?

It is not an entity,

No leaks,

No areaportals going into the water.

No visclusters brushes

Edit. Texture is water/water_well

Last edited:

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
If the water brush covers the face of another brush, that brush's face will likely get removed by the compiler in the "find touching faces that will never be drawn and make them nodraw" segment.

I ran into this issue myself once.

Try tying the water to an entity or separating the water from the missing surface by a single unit (which is what I did, because I needed my "ceiling" to be above the water a little, other edges might not work as well).

Mar 20, 2012
^What Draco said. It looks as if a brush is directly touching with water, it does the "nodraw faces looking towards the void" rule.

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but is it possible to make the water effects when you are submerged in it visible when you aren't actually in the water? For example, if you are standing in a glass box surrounded by water?

If so, I must design an deep sea map. :p

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
^What Draco said. It looks as if a brush is directly touching with water, it does the "nodraw faces looking towards the void" rule.

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but is it possible to make the water effects when you are submerged in it visible when you aren't actually in the water? For example, if you are standing in a glass box surrounded by water?

If so, I must design an deep sea map. :p

Kind of. You basically have to put a special water texture outside the windows.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

Motanum

Jan 30, 2011
Guys, come on. A bit of hijacking. Anyways, back to topic

If the water brush covers the face of another brush, that brush's face will likely get removed by the compiler in the "find touching faces that will never be drawn and make them nodraw" segment.

I ran into this issue myself once.

Try tying the water to an entity or separating the water from the missing surface by a single unit (which is what I did, because I needed my "ceiling" to be above the water a little, other edges might not work as well).

I tried pulling it up and it was not help full. It still looks pretty much the same. I am going to try changing the water brushes to be up high instead of "cutting" through the middle.

And what entity should I try to tie it too?

Motanum

Jan 30, 2011
I've had similar problems while mapping in Team Fortress. Does anyone know why water wouldn't show up at all? Its completely clear...

(Yes I know water is clear but not perfectly see through :p )

Leak? If it is cleer, likie a nodraw texture from the top, then you might have a leak.

In my map I do not have a leak, and it occurs looking from down to up. From up to down it looks normal.

Motanum

Jan 30, 2011
I assume you've tried changing the water to something else other than the well texture?

I havent tried. I am trying changing the way I accomodate the water brushes. But do you have any suggested water textures in mind? I use well because I like the way it looks.