understanding original valve maps lighting

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Gnomesenpai, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Gnomesenpai

Gnomesenpai L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys, so i'm currently tweaking the MvM Ghost Town map by moving the giant bot spawnpoints from the sides to the middle, on compiling the map and running it i've noticed that even on the HDR -slow compile the lighting is just off compared to the original. Hw could I solve this? I know next to nothing for Hammer so any guides to "copy" the original lighting would help as i only want to move 2 spawnpoints!

Edit: uploaded VMF

Original:
    20190421213905_1.jpg
    Mine:
    20190421213846_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Pocket

aa Pocket Naylte ven, naylte yen.

Positive Ratings:
    I suspect the real problem is that the decompile process messed something up. The light_environment seems to not be working at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gnomesenpai

Gnomesenpai L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Is their anything i could do about this? another method to de-compile? or am i stuck as is if i dont want to re-create my own light_enviroment?

4. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    Try decompiling it again, or downloading it from https://tf2maps.net/threads/valve-maps-decompiled.5952/ if you didn't get it from there originally
    I'm not 100% sure on the 'broken light_environment' though, because you can see at the very edge of the skybox that there is something being lit properly

5. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord Occasionally I make maps

Positive Ratings:
    Decompiled maps often have broken areaportals and and occluders. Improperly constructed areaportals in particular can cause leaks, which will force VRAD to do simple, sloppy lighting that doesn't look good. Either fix the areaportal leaks or delete the areaportals.

6. _theunknown

_theunknown L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    paste -noskyboxrecurse into VRAD commands before $gamedir $path\$file and this will be fixed