understanding original valve maps lighting

Gnomesenpai

L1: Registered
Apr 21, 2019
Hey guys, so i'm currently tweaking the MvM Ghost Town map by moving the giant bot spawnpoints from the sides to the middle, on compiling the map and running it i've noticed that even on the HDR -slow compile the lighting is just off compared to the original. Hw could I solve this? I know next to nothing for Hammer so any guides to "copy" the original lighting would help as i only want to move 2 spawnpoints!

Edit: uploaded VMF

Original:
20190421213905_1.jpg

Mine:
20190421213846_1.jpg

Attachments

• mvm_ghost_town_moe_final.vmf
    4.9 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I suspect the real problem is that the decompile process messed something up. The light_environment seems to not be working at all.

Gnomesenpai

Apr 21, 2019
I suspect the real problem is that the decompile process messed something up. The light_environment seems to not be working at all.
Is their anything i could do about this? another method to de-compile? or am i stuck as is if i dont want to re-create my own light_enviroment?

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Is their anything i could do about this? another method to de-compile? or am i stuck as is if i dont want to re-create my own light_enviroment?

Try decompiling it again, or downloading it from https://tf2maps.net/threads/valve-maps-decompiled.5952/ if you didn't get it from there originally
I'm not 100% sure on the 'broken light_environment' though, because you can see at the very edge of the skybox that there is something being lit properly

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Decompiled maps often have broken areaportals and and occluders. Improperly constructed areaportals in particular can cause leaks, which will force VRAD to do simple, sloppy lighting that doesn't look good. Either fix the areaportal leaks or delete the areaportals.

_theunknown

Jul 27, 2018
paste -noskyboxrecurse into VRAD commands before $gamedir $path\$file and this will be fixed