Ultra high-res screencaps in Source?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pocket, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I was wondering, is there a way in Source to do a screen capture at a higher resolution than your actual screen? Say for example you wanted to print it out, or make a "cut-out" image of some object in the room with a transparent background by capturing it at a high resolution with no antialiasing, using the sharp edges to as a guide to trim out the background, and then scaling it down manually to get the smooth edges back.

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I think your screen res is limited to your monitors resolution.

Maybe there is a command that allows you to set screen res, but that wouldn't make sense imo.

3. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    try launching it with the launch commands of -w XXXX -h XXXX in windowed noborder, and then take screenshots from there.

4. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Source Filmmaker lets you make 'poster' screenshots that can be any size or resolution, and has anti-aliasing, motion blur and depth of field options. I could take a screenshot using it with the object you want on a green screen then send you the picture file?

Example (kept my screen res, though):
    [​IMG]

Or, y'know, do what Aly said.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Using the command line flags won't work. Windows prevents the dimensions of any window from exceeding the desktop resolution. So unless you have three or for monitors to hook up in a square pattern, you won't get any bigger.

6. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Kinda sucks. Source really should have a UDK equivalent of tiledshot. :<