Ultra high-res screencaps in Source?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I was wondering, is there a way in Source to do a screen capture at a higher resolution than your actual screen? Say for example you wanted to print it out, or make a "cut-out" image of some object in the room with a transparent background by capturing it at a high resolution with no antialiasing, using the sharp edges to as a guide to trim out the background, and then scaling it down manually to get the smooth edges back.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
try launching it with the launch commands of -w XXXX -h XXXX in windowed noborder, and then take screenshots from there.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Source Filmmaker lets you make 'poster' screenshots that can be any size or resolution, and has anti-aliasing, motion blur and depth of field options. I could take a screenshot using it with the object you want on a green screen then send you the picture file?

Example (kept my screen res, though):
2BnuI.jpg

Or, y'know, do what Aly said.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Using the command line flags won't work. Windows prevents the dimensions of any window from exceeding the desktop resolution. So unless you have three or for monitors to hook up in a square pattern, you won't get any bigger.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Kinda sucks. Source really should have a UDK equivalent of tiledshot. :<