UK based Custom Map Community?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Wegason, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Wegason

Wegason L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looking to start up a UK based custom maps playing community - server provided.

My friends and I are looking to establish a TF2 custom maps community in the UK. We are aware that there are many servers out there that play custom maps, and there are many in the UK that do so.

We have however found the maps they play to not be to our taste, Hall of Death, Toytown, Mario Kart, to name a few, and we want to establish a community or at least just a server that plays quality custom maps a couple of nights a week and at weekends.

The trouble we have in getting our server off the ground is achieving critical mass. There's usually four of us, although I've been working on adding to that number, and hope to have about 6-8 of my steam friends on a regular basis on our game night to play quality custom maps, so we just need some more to achieve the critical mass that gets others joining the server.

What we want to know is if there are a group of friends or UK/Western Europe based players out there who also want a server to call home for playing quality customs on a regular basis. Players who want a say in the maps that are on the server and that are played.

I'm looking to join up with others to create a community/steam group based around a server playing maps like Cashworks, Furnace Creek, Halfacre, Swiftwater, Aurora, Outback, Repository, Glacier, Steel, Industrial, Waste etc

Basically the best customs to come out of the custom map scene. I don't want to play on a server where the users may vote for maps like Hall of Death, CP Orange etc.

In exchange for joining, I'll provide the server, I'll be open to map suggestions, we'll vote on maps to be added to the maplist; while playing, the maps will be decided by RTV and users nominate maps from the maplist to vote upon. I have a 1GB limit on my download server, which I estimate will allow me to have 20-24 custom maps on the rotation/cycle/map voting together with a few Valve maps.

Currently on the server:

Cashworks RC2, Furnace Creek B4, Halfacre, KotH_Aurora, Outback_RC2, Repository, Steel, Industrial B7, Koth Harvest, Koth Lighthouse RC5, Koth Garbage Day, Koth Moonshine V2, Koth Oilfield, Koth Waste, pl Waste.

I am open to changing some of those, for example, dropping a couple of the Koth's in favour of other maps if need be. I'll also be adding more maps once the custom particle problem is fixed (Glacier is a certainty, Vector, HAARP etc)

We usually play Tuesday and Thursday evenings during the week (we all work), and most Sunday afternoons into evening.

The name for the group/community/server can also be changed, at the moment I'm using "Miniature Heroes" but I am open to change and suggestions.

Would anyone be interested?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Uk based custom server that doesn't play toyfort/arena/mariokart etc?...hell yeah! I'm all in favor for custom map UK servers. You say you have a community or need one? We used to/do have a community but tbh it seems like a load of ranom people that aren't interested in playing tf2 with us :(

I'm currently still going through school, so I guess I could help populate the server around 4pm onwards weekdays, and am usualy always online throughout the weekend.

So I'm willing to help out and raise a new community, I can bring a few friends to the server too and even some custom maps :p , but not brilliant, ultra, amazing must haves.

3. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    This seems like good low-ping fun. Although, can't you guys just hijack the EU server on non-gameday days? It seems alot less hassle...

4. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    not in UK...so its doubtful ill join...but...Too Much Koth!

also I hope that your 1gb limit is the total space not your total bandwidth <_<

5. Wegason

Positive Ratings:
    I agree on too much KotH, happy to add more and remove half the KotH maps. 1Gb is total space on the download server, not the bandwidth.

Busy gaming periods tend to be Friday nights and Weekends, which is when gamedays are, plus not as much freedom when not running your own server.

6. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would host it although im on at odd times (usually 5:30-6:00 and 7:30-9:30)

7. sohcahtoa

sohcahtoa L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    sounds relly cool, i'd love to have a small group of local players to mess around with(ha) on decent community maps, in the afternoons. i'm in

8. Garner

Garner L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Speak to the mods on here about sponsoring your server to tf2maps.net as a full time 24/7 custom map server so the already active map testing servers can be left purely for map testing.

Also, if you are going to run a server, please use sourcemod preuly because it offers the best control over your server.

9. J4CK8

Positive Ratings:
    I think we should start a community so all of us that would be happy to be involved can join. Unless you have one for your server already already? Also, can you post the server ip so I can add to favs please?

10. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'll drop by providing:

- It's not instant respawn.
    - it's not 36 man.
    - it's not running retarded mods like Roll the dice.

If those 3 things check, I'll at least drop by every so often.

On the other hand if it's "vanilla" everything except, obviously, the maps (and maybe sourcemod for rock the vote and such), I'll most likely be dropping by very often.

11. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Same with this. I've been looking for a good server other than the TF2M EU one.

12. Wegason

Positive Ratings:
    Server IP: 83.142.49.185:28015

Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/MiniatureHeroes

No instant respawn
    24 player server

Only mods are: SourceMod for RTV, nominations, messages, and other standards.

No stupid mods, just custom maps

It is essentially Vanilla

13. Wegason

Positive Ratings:
    SourceMod is being used, don't worry :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Will see you around then!

15. J4CK8

Positive Ratings:
    You should be glad to know:

16. Wegason

Positive Ratings:
    If some others would care to join us in the server I can then invite some more who would be interested in a game should there be more players online

17. Wegason

Positive Ratings:
    Maps currently on the server to choose from,

ctf_staging_b3
    koth_aurora_rc2
    pl_halfacre
    pl_deadwood
    koth_garbage_day
    pl_waste
    pl_borax_rc
    koth_harvest
    cp_furnace_b4
    koth_lighthouse_rc5
    cp_gravelpit
    pl_repository_rc3
    koth_moonshine_v2
    plr_pipeline
    koth_oilfield
    pl_badwater
    koth_sawmill
    cp_steel
    pl_cashworks_rc2
    koth_waste_final
    cp_industrial_b7
    pl_outback_rc3
    pl_stovepipe_b3

Thought? Suggestions? Things to take off, maps to put on?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    What about cp_freight_final?

About the standard-maps: gravel is good, not played enough on public, same for pipeline, but badwater seems to be running on every second server, together with goldrush.

19. Wacky Snoopy is

Wacky Snoopy is L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'll add my 2 cents to this discussion.

Gravelpit off, Badwater off, Pipeline off and then maybe add there one good custom map.

20. J4CK8

Positive Ratings:
    Gravelpit is played too much IMO. I usualy see it along with badwater on plenty of servers. Pipeline isn't that popular, but most people only like the first stage. The big king koth map pack thingy I don't like either. The only koth maps I like are...well my own basicly :p

I think you need more custom maps that are good and don't have much play. I've only seen stovepipe, outback and industrial on two or three servers before.