UGLY's Steamroller

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
OK changed to a light brown. Agreeable?

EDIT: Dumpling, I've just noticed that there's a smoothing error at the front, just in front of and below the headlight, you can see it in the first image above.

steamroller_test0008.jpg

steamroller_test0009.jpg

steamroller_test0010.jpg

p.s. Sorry for the double post

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
supercool collaboration :D
if only there wasn't this heavy hdr/bloom/wishiwashi lighting breaking the coolness ;)

UGLYdumpling

L3: Member
May 24, 2010
@Acumen : yeah,yeah,yeah. The final release will include sexy screenies with artful lighting. Boylee's lighting served as a good stress test during development.

Collision mesh - done
hirez master - done (8382tris)
lowrez LOD mesh - done (4561tris)
surface normal optimization - done

The final textures will be 1024x1024 with 512x512 LOD's.
I've decided to keep the 2048 master texture as an optional accessory for the release.

This afternoon I'm gonna finish up the texture LOD's for red&blu - and barring any unforeseen circumstances; make the full and official release tonight or first thing tomorrow.

I'd like to take this opportunity in advance of the release to thank everyone for their enthusiastic support and highly constructive criticism during the development of this static mesh, my first for this wonderful community. Of course a pint to Pengy for the initial request.

Boylee is an INCREDIBLY talented texture artist. I'm over the moon impressed with the caliber of his work and - gawd, he's fast! An absolute pleasure to work with - even despite the fact that he's 13hours ahead of me living in South Korea. :cool:

My collaboration with Boylee will continue as we have already started preliminary production of the "TF2 Deciduous Tree Pack". stay tuned for a thread in the near future!

UGLYdumpling

May 24, 2010
ok, some good news and some bad news.
well, not so much bad, but extremely irritating and inconvenient.

Since there aren't any SOURCE tools compatible with Maya 2010/11, my workflow is to model in maya and export .OBJ files into XSI MODTOOLS. Which i then use to export .SMD files.

The bad news is that NONE of the smoothing groups I spent so much time in Maya creating make it into XSI as I assumed they would. I know OBJ preserves such things and i made double sure in the settings to export them. But XSI, in it's infinate stupidity strips them out.

So I have no other choice but to redo all my smoothing groups using XSI. I'm having to learn all the commands and it's a bit slow-going as I've never really used XSI for anything other than importing and exporting until now.

Expect a one day delay on the release.

The good news is that YM pointed out that my VMF's are mipmaps, so I don't have to worry about hirez and lowrez LOD textures. They're built into the VMF format. yay.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Hey dumpling, I'll make you some lower res versions of the textures a bit later to ensure that there's no colour disparity. ;)

Also If you can export from Maya to 3DSmax then I can have a go compiling it. :)

Oh and the lighting was just ripped straight out of pl_upward. :p

Last edited:

UGLYdumpling

May 24, 2010
alllllllmost done folks. Got a handle on XSI's edge selection and it's 'Mark Hard Edge/Vertex tool'. Switching between the LOD models and tweaking small stuff so I expect to be done shortly.

Boylee has provided me with two sets of textures. 1024's and 512's. I'll release the model with the 1024's pre-loaded with an optional folder of 512 which mappers can swap in at their discretion.

Equinoxo

L2: Junior Member
Feb 1, 2009
Hey Ugly! This has sure come along since the construction vehicle thread, looking good.

The bad news is that NONE of the smoothing groups I spent so much time in Maya creating make it into XSI as I assumed they would. I know OBJ preserves such things and i made double sure in the settings to export them. But XSI, in it's infinate stupidity strips them out.

I also a Maya guy and keep running to this, the only way I've found to guarantee that (most) of your smoothing makes it's way over to XSI is to delete your history, do a Normals>Set to Face, THEN redo ALL the smoothing groups. It doesn't work 100% and it's a total pain on a relatively complicated model.

UGLYdumpling

May 24, 2010
Done. Download and enjoy folks!

@Equinoxo : Yeah, i did all those things to no avail. I was shocked. Then I tried FBX - same result. Very shocking actually. I had to teach myself some XSI to get it done ... took about four times longer than it takes me in Maya. XSI isn't a very elegant tool when it comes to combining meshes either. holy crap - i nearly lost my mind. Now that I'm fully aware of all the snags it shouldn't take me nearly as long to get through this pipeline, but I love Maya's polygon modeling tools so I highly doubt I'll change my procedures.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Nice one dumpling, good work mate. :)

I look forward to using it.

EDIT: 2 Small mistakes. The folder in the root of the archive should be named 'tf' not 'tf2', and you've packed 2 copies of the 2048 textures (one set in a folder named 1024 textures). ;)

Last edited:

koth

L1: Registered
Jul 23, 2010
i think it is perfect the way it is, definitely going to use it.