UGLY's Steamroller

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
^^ ignore the 2 above posts.

This object definitely does not warrant a 2048x2048 map, it's not nearly big enough.

1024x1024 should be more than enough to satisfy this thing.

Also everyone else, drop this whole, because valve does it it makes it right, it doesn't :s

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Admittedly, Valve isn't perfect, but at least they keep their models low in polies.

UGLYdumpling

L3: Member
May 24, 2010
Unwrap is almost done. Will bake some AO and then post some preliminary work later in the week.

I'll likely just make my maps 2k's and then downsize to 1K's for the final release here.
Will just keep the 2k's for my portfolio.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
selentic please stop running around making provoking posts in almost every model-thread. it's neither polite nor necessary to advise ignoring posts, either. for someone who basically ignores almost every single tf2-model&texture-style aspect himself, you just can't run around spreading your selfconvinced wisdom like that. you can have your opinion that it might be too large, but that's it.

i'd say valve being a ~100 year old game developer knows a fair deal of how things should/could/can be in their games and engine. they have every right and reasoning to use a 2048 for a dumptruck, or just use a 1024 for a similar object. the engine can handle it and it should be up to UGLYdumpling do decide which solution to use. he can always just downscale the texture in the end to see if he loses any details or sharpening in the texture. sometimes it's just needed or desirable that the texture looks really crisp. it's far from being unrealistic or wasteful to use a 2048² on such a huge prop in this specific game - period. sure it can be discussed, based on how a mapper uses the object in his map (far, near) and how big the prop itself actually is, but in the end it's up to UGLYdumpling, after he did proper research on comparable tf2 models and textures in style and scale. it helps a lot to examine valve's way of doing things. sometimes one may think "omg, why did they do that" but in the end most of the time you get the point.

UGLYdumpling

May 24, 2010
although I can appreciate the debate as to whether or not to use 1K's or 2K's for in-game props, I didn't expect a mud slinging contest to errupt. Please stop.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'd say go for whatever you need. Valve doesn't seem to have a standard. The dump truck and train boxcars use 2048 but then the diesel train engine only uses a 512... and there are all sizes in between including rectangles.

And that 512 is only because they mirror it for the other side. Which leads to this:

testevilroom0000.jpg

UGLYdumpling

May 24, 2010
ok then, screw it, I'll make it a 128x128 map then ...

I debated on whether to post an update today ...

... since I've merely unwrapped it and baked off an ambient occlusion pass ... but meh - at the risk of boring you all with unsexy updates, here's a turnaround of my raw AO pass :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFoZvM6luvw

(bonus points if you can identify the soundtrack i captured by mistake on this turnaround)

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Looking good. :) For the texture I'd say start large so it's easy to edit (say 2048 squared) and then try scaling it down incrementally until you lose too much definition.

Out of interest could you not save a few polys on the grill at the front by baking them into a bump map from a high poly version?

UGLYdumpling

May 24, 2010
@Boylee : yep. As it stands right now the grill is 132 faces ... I could probably just fake it into a texture and apply it to the front of the steamroller. The whole model is ~8400 tris atm. I'd save about 260tris by turning the grill into a texture.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
selentic please stop running around making provoking posts in almost every model-thread. it's neither polite nor necessary to advise ignoring posts, either. for someone who basically ignores almost every single tf2-model&texture-style aspect himself, you just can't run around spreading your selfconvinced wisdom like that. you can have your opinion that it might be too large, but that's it.

i'd say valve being a ~100 year old game developer knows a fair deal of how things should/could/can be in their games and engine. they have every right and reasoning to use a 2048 for a dumptruck, or just use a 1024 for a similar object. the engine can handle it and it should be up to UGLYdumpling do decide which solution to use. he can always just downscale the texture in the end to see if he loses any details or sharpening in the texture. sometimes it's just needed or desirable that the texture looks really crisp. it's far from being unrealistic or wasteful to use a 2048² on such a huge prop in this specific game - period. sure it can be discussed, based on how a mapper uses the object in his map (far, near) and how big the prop itself actually is, but in the end it's up to UGLYdumpling, after he did proper research on comparable tf2 models and textures in style and scale. it helps a lot to examine valve's way of doing things. sometimes one may think "omg, why did they do that" but in the end most of the time you get the point.

You are so unbelievably stupid. You have no idea what you're talking about and you're sitting here spreading so much misinformation which this site is happy to gobble up because you made a pretty good tractor. For the good of everyone on this site, and my sanity, please stop.

Also I'll just stop providing facts to you at this point since you find them so provoking.

Oh, and finally, it would be wonderful if you would learn to capitalize words properly, your posts are disgusting to read.

although I can appreciate the debate as to whether or not to use 1K's or 2K's for in-game props, I didn't expect a mud slinging contest to errupt. Please stop.

2K is fine for big props, (see my ge-u25b as a convenient example) ones where the texture becomes ridiculously blurry because 1K wasn't enough.

This model is nowhere near that big, and you will gain very little, if anything by making the texture four times bigger. On the other hand you decrease performance for no reason with 2K in this case.

E: If you feel you really do need more texture resolution, 2048x1024 is an option.

Looking good. :) For the texture I'd say start large so it's easy to edit (say 2048 squared) and then try scaling it down incrementally until you lose too much definition.

Out of interest could you not save a few polys on the grill at the front by baking them into a bump map from a high poly version?

Generally unless you really need to cover up mistakes you made, you do not paint at a high resolution and scale down. It's a bad habit to get into, and in tf2 the possibility for mistakes is pretty small too. After all you're dealing almost entirely with solid colours.

Last edited:

UGLYdumpling

May 24, 2010
I can see your point about not wanting to overburden the engine when one doesn't HAVE to. I have settled on a 1K texture map release for this model. There aren't too many small details on this model, and I put some care into scaling the UVs larger for areas that will hold said detail.

---

But seriously, I thought I already asked politely to drop the mud slinging. What purpose does it serve to get the 'last word' and call someone names over texturemap resolution?

I can relate to nerdrage, believe me, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to CHANGE their opinion if a well proposed argument is put forward.

If a person starts calling another person names as part of their argument they've just undermined the whole point of the debate. I don't think you really meant those insults Selentic; i can tell you're frustrated about some folks not understanding your rationale.

oh quick edit : Very small update, some color blocking. yay.
steamrollertextureruff.jpg

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Can we get a yellow one as well? (Similar in colour to the dump truck)

UGLYdumpling

May 24, 2010
@midget : Sure man, shouldn't be a problem to accommodate another color. btw, muted yellow is a very hard color to dial in - hard for it not to look orange or green. Anywayz, plenty of opportunity to dial it in juuuust right.

steamrollertextureruff0.jpg

Sep 12, 2008
Looking good, but maybe don't give the wheels (the inside part) a colour like that. Maybe just some grey? But I understand that this is just some basic colour-stuff. Anyways I do still think that the yellow looks to dark and it should have more of an orange touch. I really love the modeling work though! Can't wait to see this one finished! :D

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
The yellow of the valve dump truck is actually pretty close to orange. I'd try to make it match that. The red and blu versions are pretty spiffy so far.

Also, agreed on the inside of the wheels. A charcoal grey would be better suited there, with a different shade of grey on the outside.

Kep