Ugly shadows with lower lightmap scales?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by The Siphon, Apr 7, 2017.

1. The Siphon

The Siphon L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I tried lowering lightmap scale, no difference at all. Also I tried that lighting guide and did a compile with those commands but again no visible fix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Lowering it as in going from 16 to 8, or as in 16 to 24?

3. The Siphon

Positive Ratings:
    from 16 to 8

4. Werewolf

aa Werewolf Probably not a real Werewolf

Positive Ratings:
    Which guide and which commands did you try?

5. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    These 2 are caused by the fact that the amount of rays is limited. Make the doorway bigger and it's gonna be less notice. The truly best option you have is to compile vrad with -final.

The prop does not have a collision model, therefore a shrinkwrap of the entire model is used for lighting calculation. The fix here is to use -staticproppolys in vrad. See this for more information: http://www.nodraw.net/2010/12/lighting-compile-options/
    Make sure the props properties allow these to take effect!

Sharp shadows will always look blocky. If you don't like that, try using a BIGGER lightmap size or increase the sun spread angle.

The following guide should also help you a little: https://tf2maps.net/threads/guide-lets-talk-about-lighting.19133/

EDIT: Fixed mistake where i wrote -full instead of -final. What was I thinking?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. The Siphon

Positive Ratings:
  7. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    You must be using the commands incorrectly. Please provide screenshots of your compile window before pressing start.

8. Blade x64

aa Blade x64 Logical insanity

Positive Ratings:
    Use -final in vrad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Siphon

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Also there is no way I could get a bigger doorway
    [​IMG]

10. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Why are you running vrad multiple times? You need to use all these commands on a single vrad.

11. The Siphon

Positive Ratings:
    I tried following the guide on the site, which instructed to create a new compile preset. Neither of them work, so I tried using both in case I somehow messed them up.

12. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Running VRAD multiple times just overwrites the previous results; it's not like you can try it three different ways and then cycle between the results when you load up the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blade x64

aa Blade x64 Logical insanity

Positive Ratings:
    These settings amuse me.

So it starts out normally: (1)builds the bsp, (2)calculates visibility, (3)generates final lighting for ldr, then hdr, (4)copies the bsp into your game directory, and (5) launches the game.

But then it keeps going. (6) It redoes the ldr lighting with proper prop lighting. (7) It throws the ldr data out again, generating it with a custom lights file. This bsp doesn't even get copied into the game directory, and will get overwritten next time you compile.

Just put all the vrad arguments in the same one and only run that one. Also be sure it copies after the compile.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
Tags: