Ugly shadows on angled brushes

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pc_Madness, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Pc_Madness

Pc_Madness L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, I seem to be doing something wrong with my brushes that I have above stairs, they almost always end up with hideous shadows. Any ideas whats the deal?

There aren't any leaks. Do I just need to stick a light in all these spots?

Heres a screenie. :)
    [​IMG]

Cheers. :)

2. Steff0o

Steff0o L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    are you sure that brush doesnt continue along the wall?
    btw, check the lightmap setting

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Also check if the alignment is set to world or face while the walls are set to the opposite. Sometimes that affects lighting. That's kind of what it looks like it does when that happens in fact.

You can try setting it to the same smoothing group as the walls if the above doesn't work.

Kep

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pc_Madness

Pc_Madness L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nah, it didn't go inside of any other brushes, and I haven't touched the Lightmap setting just yet.

The alignments seemed to just push the shadow around the face (unless the shadow is random each compile)

The smoothing groups was the win. I set all of the same brushes (including ones in different areas) to a hard smoothing group, and now they're all good. Are there any downsides to using them? :)

Cheers. :)

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    They only affect how the lightmaps are formed, unless you have some dynamic lighting (and really, in TF2, who does?), so no. In my experience you can also reuse the same smoothing groups elsewhere in the map, so you're not in danger of running out of them either.

6. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Could be related to light bounces

Try compiling with -final and see if that fixes it.

7. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I've always found that you can fix this just by better light placement. Here, you could just include another light and this shouldn't be a problem.

8. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Really i think that'd look almost okay! :O

Well anyway your best bet'd probabaly be to add another light near it or disable shadows on the light making this shadow.