UGC focus for Source 2.0?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by mint onion, Mar 6, 2014.

1. mint onion

mint onion L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
  2. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    There was that Source 2.0 powerpoint leak a few weeks ago that reiterated that idea as well.
    [​IMG]
    Which, at the bottom left states:
    Redesigned Tools & Workflow
    • Powerful GUI frontend for content authoring
    • Browser for quickly finding, managing, editing assets
    • Simple, automatic compiling of content

And yeah, Booj had us covered the other day about the IAMA :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    If we aren't doing (at the very least) lighting and entity work in-engine, Valve really missed the boat.

Ideally we'd start up an editor version of the game and build the entire map with game quality graphics, dispense with wasting time of trying something, compiling, and going to check how it looks.

4. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    all I'm hoping is that stuff will be easy to port from source 1 to 2 and that we'll be able to make mods out of the box

I mean, it's probably still using mdls, will have to see about the other stuff

5. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty much every other engine not 10 years old does these so I really wouldn't worry

6. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, but.. Valve.

Basically I'll believe it when I see it.

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Game quality graphics in the editor depends on if they are keeping baked radiosity lighting... you aren't doing that realtime.

8. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    well you could always use a different lighting engine in the editor but that kinda defeats the purpose of the preview doesn't it? could be close enough tho

9. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Could do it UDK, where they do a really fast approximation on things that have changed till you bake lighting.

10. Fish 2.0

Fish 2.0 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    In alpha stages or when I'm not detailing the only reason I want to run around is for like scale and to get a feel, but lighting wise it's not important if it's accurate to me imo

11. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    In the later stages it's super important though. The "change build check" cycle is agonizingly slow with Source, especially if you're trying to nail specific lighting effects. Cordones speed it up a bit but it'd be nice to just not have to bother.

The light simulation option in Hammer is comically inaccurate.