UEAKCrash's 2018 April Fool's Day Mini-Contest!

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Can we let's say Use the Valve's artpass map as a base even though it's not really a new map?

• Editing an older "serious" map is acceptable, as long as there is enough of a change to it. I'm probably not going to disqualify anyone for this, but it certainly won't help your scores if you only changed a few small things.

Joel

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2016
Ok, just to clear it up it's not spire spam, there'll be 2 spires in total, but with a bit of a twist.

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
do i hate my players?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1043).png
    Screenshot (1043).png
    337.7 KB · Views: 442

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
do i hate my players?

Yes.

At least use Nodraw, you monster. If you hit it, it leaves a mark. Plus, it'll help with optimization.

Aferron

Jul 9, 2016
Wooowee!

I haven't logged on in a long time. Hi all.
I think I'll give this a shot! I've never actually finished a map before (never), so maybe my first proper map will be a joke map.

Problem is, I have an idea for a cool gamemode gimmick, but no ideas for jokes...

How do I make it funny?

Joel

Nov 19, 2016
Try to avoid unoriginality, trains, saws and lazers may be funny but it only was the first time you experience a map like it, will it be that funny (like how prettysawlit is to trainsawlaser). A map can be more funny if it isn't just death traps as it allows the players to experience the fun of your map instead of constantly being dead, having a smaller respawn time is also very helpful if your map does have death traps (hopefully not many). Adding a funny aspect to the gamemode gimmick is a good way to do it, for example meme machine is good as it's subsidiary gimmick is that it's a player destruction map which is a very uncommon gamemode having players sense originality within it instead of just being king of the hill but with death traps, while also using player destruction's gameplay to enable the sequences within the map that have a good mixture between enjoyment and how often it occurs as it causes the jokes to be funny without it all being thrown in your face at once. The gamemode gimmick in itself can also increase your fun factor if it's absurd enough, like dom_presidents, if not add some sort of secondary event upon completion of the gamemodes objective.
Sorry for the wall of text, thought I'd give some advice (which I should probably take myself) to help other competitors!~

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
@Crash I accidentally submitted a map with incorrect respawn times, would I be able to resubmit?

You can keep updating your map until the contest is over, I think.

You've got a few months.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
@Crash I accidentally submitted a map with incorrect respawn times, would I be able to resubmit?
HolySnickerPuffs is correct, I'll use the last version submitted before the deadline. But ideally everyone only submits their one final version. No rush, tons of time left.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Wooowee!

I haven't logged on in a long time. Hi all.
I think I'll give this a shot! I've never actually finished a map before (never), so maybe my first proper map will be a joke map.

Problem is, I have an idea for a cool gamemode gimmick, but no ideas for jokes...

How do I make it funny?
Same here - I've never properly finished a map, but this contest provides a great opportunity to do so~

I'd say check this playlist. It's a collection of recordings of previous April Fools maps, you can get some inspiration and also some insight into how players react to certain things!

Things to consider are: (note that trying to sum up such a broad term as a joke map is fruitless but this should help you)

-The reveal. Basically, the point where the joke is clear to the player(s). The setup of spawnrooms is perfect for this, as you can ensure players have no idea what they're in for upon starting.

-The leadup. Not essential, but it can be a hint of or an ease into the joke before hitting them with the cracker. An example would be the crazy hazards on Trainsawlaser. You could argue that it hits players with tons of stuff from the beginning, but I'd say that every consecutive event builds on the last, getting more and more ridiculous.

-The actual joke. Generally, the theme of a joke map will be a single focus (whereas Trainsawlaser is a ton of craziness from start to finish, Windmilltrainsaw focuses around the mayhem that ensues around the Control Point. Windmilltrainsaw is also a great example of a reveal - when players eventually reach mid and have to work out what they're looking at is possibly the most effective part).

-The fun. As Reggie once said, if it's not fun, why bother? That's all.

Obviously I'm not the most educated person on the matter, and this is just my view, but hopefully that'll give you some ideas!

Aferron

Jul 9, 2016
Thanks for your advice.

I already have a gameplay gimmick in mind, except the gimmick itself not exactly funny or necessarily wacky. It's not exactly a joke map.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
That shouldn't matter, I believe it'll still be welcomed and if it's fun it won't matter!
Remember that (despite what I said lmao) a joke map doesn't actually have to have a particular joke, it -could- just be something that breaks the rules of normal TF2 or isn't something you'd see in a serious map.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Dammit, I've got two different ideas but it's only one entry per person

Just create a pseudonym and submit under that name. I think either YM or tyler did something like that a few years back, but that was before I joined.