UDK level design?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by REEJ, May 17, 2011.

1. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm striving to understand the difference compared to Hammer, at first glance it seems like 'mapping' for UDK is working in 3DS Max 90% of the time.
    I've been sort of offered a level designer position in a rather amateur project in UDK, but I have no idea if they expect the mapper to be an actual texturer/modeller.

Anyone knows if 'UDK-people' usually consider a level designer as a texturer/modeller? Or do they actually have them while the level designers sit around and only stick prefabs here and there, without having to worry about any leaks or anything...
    :O

2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    It's a model based engine. I don't really have any idea, but I'd assume that's what they want. Try... asking?

3. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    You have to build the basic terrain and deal with leaks. But almost all details are placing models. So you can probably work on a grid of 16 all the time and never deal with leaks to begin with.

I guess it's nice if you have good modelers to work with, but Hammer is nice for being able to one off decent stuff in editor.

4. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I know, it depends on the team. I know for the team that made Amnesia (which isn't made in UDK, but it's similar in some ways) that the Level Designer planned the ideas, a modeller modeled basic walls, holes, doors, ect. based on the plan, and then the Designer built the levels with those Models. But I'm sure it varies from team to team.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    So it turns out they were pretty much looking for modellers/texturers with an ability to make any map, just by the way.