Typos make bag introductions

Meldriz

L1: Registered
Aug 28, 2013
So I thought I put in the name Meldrix but it turned out as Meldriz. Anyways it's a pain writing on an iPad so I'll try and be a bit more brief than I should.

I'm 13 and my real name is Ruben. I've been into mapping on and off in long bursts for a while now. I haven't made a proper playable map but I've dabbled in l4d2, portal 2, tf2 and hl2. My first map is probably going to be a koth map which I've already designed the layout for; which is hopefully decent although I haven't perfected it yet. I'm still learning about func detail and io. I've been looking at a lot of sources about map design and I think I know enough to start experimenting with map designs.

I'd like to join in on the im chat but I can't get steam on an iPad at the moment and I found the irc was inactive during most gmt hours.

If you have any questions about me or want to welcome me or something then just feel free to even though you already are and something something that I think sounds pretentious.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
..just feel free to even though you already are and something something that I think sounds pretentious.

Don't worry about it. ;)

Welcome. If guides are your thing you should check out Nodraw.net, TopHattWaffle on youtube, and probably also Grazr's guides:

[ARTICLE] Immersion and your map
[ARTICLE] Stairs and your map
[ARTICLE] Roofs, Skybox Brushes and Your Map
[GUIDE] Base Facades and your map map
[GUIDE] Balance, layout and your A/D map
[GUIDE] Scale and your map

Although, as you could probably guess, the best knowledge comes from experience. Also don't be afraid to make any mistakes in your maps, making mistakes is a part of growing and even the best level designers are growing with each map they make. (Just things that seem to come up).

Meldriz

Aug 28, 2013
Don't worry about it. ;)

Welcome. If guides are your thing you should check out.

Although, as you could probably guess, the best knowledge comes from experience. Also don't be afraid to make any mistakes in your maps, making mistakes is a part of growing and even the best level designers are growing with each map they make. (Just things that seem to come up).

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm thinking for my first map of doing both payload race and koth. I'm investigating routes of 4, kind of 3ish since one side might be more unbalanced.

Sorry about the double upload.

Yellow indicates 2nd floor white space is ground floor and the black bits are no go zones and brown is floor -1 downwards. The thick red and blue is payload tracks and the thinner is team sides to mid.

http://imgur.com/a/TdN8r

Mar 23, 2010
we need something to carry our maps around in so welcome bag!

Meldriz

Aug 28, 2013
I would suggest a party bag on my end since I'm planning on making quite a few maps.