Two questions- water and custom models

bobotype

L1: Registered
Sep 24, 2014
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere that wasn't from before Steampipe was introduced: Which folder should I import the Frontline and Bulletcrops custom models/textures into to use them in a map?

Also a question on water- Should I avoid using it in competitive-oriented 5CP maps? Because I know that Gullywash and Process's map creators removed their water elements, so I thought maybe there was some kind of gameplay/optimization reason they weren't used.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Your going to want to create a folder inside of your common/team fortress 2/tf folder named "custom". Inside of that, create a new folder called "frontline" and place the models, materials, particles, and sounds there. The pack also comes with a handy .vmf for easily browsing the different assets, which you can load from any location of your PC while in hammer. Still, it's better to place it where your maps automatically save to (which you can find if you launch hammer and click "Open").

I hope I helped! If you have any more questions the frontline thread has people asking similar questions, so it could be answered there.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
All custom content can go in either Team Fortress 2/tf (materials in tf/materials, models in tf/models, a model's materials go in tf/materials/models, sounds go in tf/sound, etc), or in tf/custom/(drag entire Frontline/Bulletcrops/etc pack in here).

As for the water: water in Source (particularly in TF2) is a bit quirky. We have Pyro's Neon Annihilator, which also crits people walking in puddles, and explosive jumping somehow makes Soldiers and Demomen get like 3x as much distance and height from rocket/sticky jumping in water.

If you want some good answers from the competitive guys themselves, you can always ask here: http://www.teamfortress.tv

bobotype

L1: Registered
Sep 24, 2014
Thank ye kindly, that was everything I wanted to know! I'll mosey on over to the Frontline thread.