Two gameplay mode ideas

Ketsuban

L1: Registered
Jul 18, 2009
I occasionally come up with ideas for gameplay modes. Here's two of them.

1. Switchable Control Point

One point owned by RED, one point owned by BLU, a central control point (call it O) and two ancillary points R and B. When O is owned by RED, point B is locked and point R is open; when O is owned by BLU, point R is locked and point B is open. The aim is to capture the enemy team's point; the end result is that you have to hold O and also push towards the enemy's point.

2. Payload Flag

One BLU cart travelling in a circle, four control points (1, 2, 3 and 4), four briefcases owned by RED (also 1, 2, 3 and 4). BLU want to push their cart to the next point along and capture the associated intelligence by bringing it to the cart; RED tries to stop them. The way to the briefcase is cut off until the payload moves to the associated point, and the next point along requires that the previous briefcase be captured. Once all four briefcases are captured, BLU have to push their cart back to the starting point again (it goes in a circle).

Are these feasible? Are they fun?

Pianodan

L3: Member
Apr 11, 2009
Both seem eminently programmable, the question is could users figure it out before getting frustrated and wandering off?

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
The first one you described is 3 point linear push CP.

The second one sounds boring.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
The 2nd one is quite similar to my pl_donut except you added some intel to it. I dont think adding intel is such a great idea. It simply sounds too complex and complex maps often dont work. Still, my pl_donut isnt ideal also as its quite a chaos ingame. However, thats also because my map is very small and barely has side routes. But adding intel to it would to me make it a confusing gamemode.

Ketsuban

Jul 18, 2009
The first one you described is 3 point linear push CP.

Not quite. Point O switches whether RED or BLU is attacking, so it's a bit more complicated than standard three-point push CP. Here's a diagram.

variant2.png

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
Idea 1 is still just a more complicated 3 point push map. By your description, and correct me if any of this is wrong, two points aren't really points, just where you spawn at and instead each team gets a different final point to attack. You attempt to cap their last point while they attempt to retake mid.

Ketsuban

Jul 18, 2009
By your description, and correct me if any of this is wrong, two points aren't really points, just where you spawn at and instead each team gets a different final point to attack. You attempt to cap their last point while they attempt to retake mid.

No, the two endpoints are points. If your team possesses O, then it's on the attack and has to push to cap the ancillary and end points before the enemy team captures O and goes on the attack.

EDIT: Incidentally, have a third gameplay mode idea: payload chase. BLU's payload starts at the beginning of the single track, with RED's payload a bit ahead. When the game starts, RED's payload moves at a constant rate determined by the number of people on BLU, while BLU push their payload in the normal fashion. Win condition for RED is getting their payload all the way home; win condition for BLU is touching RED's payload with theirs.

Last edited: