twist on ctf -- possible? existent?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by clayton, Jun 21, 2011.

1. clayton

clayton L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    is it be possible to have a game where the objective is to capture the flag from a central point, then take it to a designated area and hold it there for a minute? (before it resets, with the team who captured earning a point)

if so, would it then be possible to have that capture area change every thirty seconds? with, say, 3 potential places it might be.

forgive my naivety if this already exists.

cheers.

(EDIT: should have asked -- if it's possible, how would you go about doing it?)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I'm really not sure there is a way to time how long a player is within a volume Unless it's a timed Capture Point that you hid from the HUD (which would reset if left).

Basically it's like a hybrid of carry the bag and capture the flag. There are no bag carrier antities for TF2, unfortunately most of the game mechanics are hard coded unlike in TFC where this kind of customisation was easy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    how do you hold the intel for 60 seconds in an area that changes every 30 seconds?

the holding could be done i think with some entity that checks if the intel is in the zone - logic_whatever
    im not really familiar with intel related inputs. if there is an input to send when the intel enters and exits the area, it is possible

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. clayton

Positive Ratings:
    i was thinking it would accumulate. so you could hold it for a maximum 30 secs in one spot, before you were forced to move.

(EDIT: though on reflection it could work the other way round, requiring a hold of 30 seconds with cap zones that last for 60 seconds before moving. this would introduce a different tactical element)

thanks for comments so far.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    why not just make it cp then

6. clayton

Positive Ratings:
    hummm.. because that would just make it a game of cp?

having to transport/hold the single flag makes it different.

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Resident Entity Guru says: 100% possible.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    CP evolved from having CTF capturing in the original Team Fortress. The reason why CTF capturing isn't officially in the game is because it's not as fun as CP.

9. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Also because ADCTF is bad. This could be done with KotH logic and just starting/stopping the koth timers when the flag enters a trigger, I think.

10. Beesafree

Beesafree L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    positive i've seen this before on a server
    had to move the "intel" to a certain location and thus it was captured