KotH Twincreek

MetalKev

L2: Junior Member
Mar 5, 2012
Timbercreek

In the ghost town of Timber Creek, somewhere near Thunder Mountain, RED and BLU decide to fight each other yet again.

My entry in the STAR koth contest, which will eventually end up aesthetically resembling a broken down version of sawmill / thundermountain.

Last edited:

MetalKev

Mar 5, 2012
While working on a1 I realized the layout might lend itself better to something besides a toxic waste dump, and I saw that a couple people are doing a nuclear themed map, so I changed the my entries name. The a1 version is about 80% done. Hopefully its at least good enough that I won't have to scrap the whole thing after testing.

MetalKev

Mar 5, 2012
So a1 isn't quite done yet, (I still need to add entities, itempacks, proper lighting, make a proper skybox etc...) but I got the layout for a1 pretty close to done and felt like posting some WiP shots.

Overhead view of the point
hSt4G.jpg

View from the main entrance to the point area
KOlAC.jpg

Player's Eye view from the point
ehi3d.jpg

One of the routes away from the point to the enemy highground.
bqa1d.jpg

Flanking route to enemy highground.
bKTVH.jpg

I do love talking to myself.

MetalKev

Mar 5, 2012
textured shaded motherhugger

I don't follow what you're saying sorry. If you're making a comment that it looks like ass, then yeah I know. Its basically one step above an orange map at this point. That'll be fixed before I release it for download, just working on layouts now.

EDIT: Derp. I follow now.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Those are actually in-game screenshots, with fullbright on. You can tell from the skybox being an actual skybox.

MetalKev

Mar 5, 2012
Eeyup steve called it. Usually I run a map with fullbright on just to look around the layout from a players perspective and make sure I haven't missed anything obvious before moving on.
Perhaps this is a terrible habit for mappers, I don't know. :unsure:

MetalKev

Mar 5, 2012
The pipe originally came from when the map was a toxic waste dump. I liked it too much to cut it when the location changed.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
That pipe doesn't work very well as a general-purpose model, actually; since it was designed for a map where it's barely seen from the outside at all, they designed its low-poly LOD versions to trigger at a much shorter distance than other props. You'll probably want to find something else to put there.

Last edited:

MetalKev

Mar 5, 2012
Okay, I added a download link and added some new screen shots of the same areas as before now that I've gotten it to an a1 release. I'd appreciate any feedback, I'll try to get this tested as soon as possible.

MetalKev

Mar 5, 2012
I'm gonna bump this for anybody who wants to give more feedback from the a1 test this gameday. Mostly if anyone wants to say any positives worth keeping that'll probably be more helpful so I know what i can keep and so I can kill the rest with fire.
Things went better than the first previous maps I worked on and I think I'll keep a few major points from a1 but I still think I gotta start again from scratch. (sigh)

EDIT: New goal for a2. Have the next iteration not fail by being both overscaled and small, and instead probably fail some other way. I wouldn't've thought it possible before mapping but all three of my tested maps have had that as feedback.

Last edited: