• Yes

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • What is a wrangler jump?

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I dont own TF2

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I sawed af my hand and replaced it with a robot hand, and cannot use a mouse anymore

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

martijntje

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Aug 2, 2009
I have been playing around with the wrangler and have been trying to master the wrangler jump. I have decided to make a little tutorial on how to wrangler jump. Use it to find out what places engineers might come to in your map or just to have fun. These are just the techniques I thought out, If you have others, feel free to share them

The wrangler jump is about equal to the soldier rocket jump in terms of reach. However the wrangler jump is a lot harder to preform and does a lot more self-damage, however, when preformed could be more of a problem as the engineer is capable of placing a teleporter when reaching a normaly unreachable spot allowin every other class to reach that spot.

Types of wrangler jumps
Basicly there are two ways to wrangler jump, using rockets or using bullets. The rocket wrangler jump is the easiest, but can only be done with a level 3 sentry. The bullet wrangler jump can be done with all sentries, and can launch one further. for those that dont know it, M1 shoots bullets, M2 shoots rockets, when using the wrangler. As with other rocket jump, being crouched in air, makes you jump further

Rocket wrangler jump

Vertical rocket wrangler jump
When you simply want to reach a great height. Best used againts a wall, you wont be able to move verticaly a lot so you need to be close to an edge.
Stand on top of your sentry, crouch, keep crouched, look down, press M2. You may release crouch when in the air.

Horizontal rocket wrangler jump
Probably the most practicle wrangler jump. Stand next to the sentry, Both you and your sentry being on the same level, facing the sentry, while your back is facing the direction you want to go to. Stay crouched, aim between yourself
and the sentry on the ground press M2, and you can release crouch while in the air.

Grabbing rocket wrangler jump
Variation of the Horizontal rocket wrangler jump, while jumping you take the sentry with you. This is an obvious glitch and will probably be fixed in the future. However in the mean time, you can use it. instead of just using M2 to launch yourself: use the comination M2,Q,M2. This switches your weapon to another weapon while just launched and allows you to pack the sentry just before you are out of reach.

Bullet wrangler jump
For all bullet wrangler jumps: the jumps will be the quickest/highest/furstest with the higher level sentry, however it will deplete your life quicker. AKA hold down M1 for a shorter period of time when using a higher level sentry.

Vertical Bullet wrangler jump
Like the verctical rocket wrangler jump, however a bit trickier to execut. Point straight up. and move around until the laser passes trough you. Tip: when crouched, you move slower allowing you to position yourself better. When ready, jump-crouch (jump then hold crouch) and then keep pressing M1. Release M1 when you have reached your desired height. (If positioned well enough you could be shooting until you kill yourself.

Horizontal Bullet wrangler jump
Difficult jump, but when mastered a better version of the horizontal rocket jump, allowing for a lot more control and reach. Stand on top of your sentry,aim upwards, run forward, jump-crouch of your sentry, keep M1 pressed while you try to keep the laser pointed at yourself. The general idea is to start aiming way up (like 80 degrees upwards) and then slowly aim downwards. This one requires a bit of practice to learn. The biggest hurdle is the initial flight, if you got that, the rest isnt that difficult

Rocket+Bullet wrangler jump
The holy grail of wrangler jumps, allows for the furtest distance as far as I can tell. Start out as horizontal rocket jump, when just flying, turn 180 degrees, aim up and continue in a horizontal wrangler jump. Requires great luck or skills to pull off.

To aid myself I used tr_walkway and the command host_framerate to slow down everything so I had more time to react, then slowly I started working towards normal playing speed.

Last edited:

martijntje

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Aug 2, 2009
You forgot the "I don't have a wrangler yet because I don't farm and every time I try to play there are already three engineers" option.
I understand that and that sucks for those people. I personaly "cheated" my way to the engineer unlocks. I could tell how I did it, but I dont want to risk being kicked/banned from this forums

Grabbing rocket wrngler jump is pure win! Looks pretty tricky to pull off though, M2 + Q + M2 in very quick succession. I imagine most people who can do it consistently are either way skilled or are using a bind.

Vids for examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbxaVcgu_k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OAMlYSxGNo

It is not that difficult to pull of actually. I get it 9 out of 10 times without a bind. Just make sure you are hugging your sentry.

ps. if your reflexes arent fast enough "+attack2;wait 10;lastinv;-attack2"

Last edited:

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
What's crounch? Also, may I suggest maybe you copypasta this into Word, Spell Check, and Edit to fix the many terrible grammar fails? Thanks.

Remember, Kids. Edge can clipcheck your map anytime you want. Provide a Hammer file, and he'll do it within a couple minutes no matter what version the map is; Provide a .bsp, and he'll do it if it's a detailed beta and if he likes the map ( ^_^)b
Clipchecks include Engineer building hax, Soldier/Demo Jumping Exploit Locations, and the occasional graphical/texturing error.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
You forgot the "I don't have a wrangler yet because I don't farm and every time I try to play there are already three engineers" option.

Ehh, you don't need to really farm to get them in a day or two, although I can see why class-limits would be a problem. About the only thing I "farmed" was the guitar-smash-taunt (in a normal game, some enemy wanted to see it done) but then got it by accident a day or two later.

You can get any of these early on, the first 5 will get you the Frontier Justice, the 11th gets you the Gunslinger.
  • Get Along!
  • Land Grab
  • Texas Two-step
  • The Wrench Connection
  • Doc, Stock, And Barrel
  • Frontier Justice
  • Uncivil Engineer
  • Quick Draw
  • Doc Holiday
  • If You Build It, They Will Die
  • Deputized
  • Built To Last (help another Engineer if they are wrangling it)

Then, with the Frontier Justice:
  • Revengineering
  • Six-string Stinger
  • Unforgiven
  • Honky Tonk Man

IIRC "Milestone 1" and "Milestone 2" count towards the total of 17, so skipping one or two items from that list you should have the Wrangler, and no "grind" achievements were involved.

Last edited:

VIVA LA NWO

L2: Junior Member
Apr 6, 2010
What's crounch? Also, may I suggest maybe you copypasta this into Word, Spell Check, and Edit to fix the many terrible grammar fails? Thanks.

Remember, Kids. Edge can clipcheck your map anytime you want. Provide a Hammer file, and he'll do it within a couple minutes no matter what version the map is; Provide a .bsp, and he'll do it if it's a detailed beta and if he likes the map ( ^_^)b
Clipchecks include Engineer building hax, Soldier/Demo Jumping Exploit Locations, and the occasional graphical/texturing error.

Do we have to put up with the attitude or is there a fee?

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
If this "clipcheck in a couple of minutes" isn't an automated tool I will be disappointed.

... Hmmm. That gives me an idea.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
I don't own TF2 which is why I am on these forums. If you think you have played with me you are obviously mistaken.