[Tutorial] DJive - Skybox editing.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
In this tutorial I'm going to try to help explain how to edit and create custom skyboxes.

First please read, and re-read .. then "THANK" Rexy on his Skybox tutorial thread. Its where i learned and modified it a bit.

[TUTORIAL] The Complete Guide To Implementing Custom Skybox Textures And Env Lighting

This thread is under the presumption that you've read and understand his great tutorial.

Also below note i have included BOTH templates w/ grid because i love you guys.. however they are .PSD format so i guess i only love the photoshop users. :O

Open Photoshop and open the skybox_layout.psd attached below.

This layout will allow you to use your favorite brushes or get creative in the sky.

With that open now go to where you've downloaded the skybox folder and you will want to open all 6 *or 5* of the sky files you want to edit. For this example i will be using. "Sky_night_01" so i will open...

sky_night_01ft ((front))
sky_night_01rt ((right))
sky_night_01lt ((left))
sky_night_01up ((up or top))

djive_sky_1.jpg

Once opened drag and drop them into the grid, just match LT with LT and RT with RT.. etc.

Also at this time you should for ease, name each layer.

djive_sky_2.jpg

Add some layers and effects to your piece then use the selection tool and drag it around a box and it will snap to the grid. CRTL click each layer that is in use and go to save as>that sides .vmf

djive_sky_3.jpg

That's it for consistent seemless of the side of the sky box.

But what about the top!! :rolleyes:

Once you have all your images saved how you want now open "Skybox_blend.psd" And drag and drop your images into the grid marked. You will have to rotate your images to fit this and a simple way to do this is "CRTL+T" you will need absolutes so 90, -90, 180, -180 is all you will be using.

Once fit you should see..

djive_sky_4.jpg

Like above you can add layers to get the effect that you desire, however to save it will be a little different.

Make sure you use the selection tool to copy the box you are working in and CRTL to select all the layers that are active in that box. Once you have then CRTL+C *copy*

Then go to file>new. This should have your 1024x512 or 512x1024.

all but 2 will need to be flipped correctly using the CRTL+T method.
The 2 that do not need to be flipped are "_rt" and "_up"

Getting it to look good in game takes a bit of practice and a fair bit of work. An example of the sky I'm working on using this.

Photoshop:
djive_sky_5.jpg

In Game:
early_alpha_muse18.jpg

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
reserved:

I'm horrible at explaining.

If this is not easy enough to understand or has some grey area's let me know where and i will clear it up.

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
nice its awesome the edited sky and nice tutorial :)

Pilk

L2: Junior Member
Jun 9, 2009
This is an excellent resource. I wonder if you could create a Photoshop Action/Macro to greatly simplify arranging the images, especially once they have setup skybox_layout.psd correctly.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
DJive, between this and the other custom skybox tutorial you may have just inspired me to attempt creating my own skybox for koth_schism. I was shying away from including custom resources, but because the sky as seen through the windows is almost as important to my map as the actual architecture so far as looks are concerned I may just create my own now.