Turret

gastrop0d

L3: Member
Apr 22, 2009
I've done something equivalent to that, Godslayer. I've divided the platform into moving and non-moving parts. The inner part is stationary, the outer rim rotates. If you get in the way of any of the moving parts, you die.

I've also added a "gyro" set of 2 pillars that rotate quickly during capping. Basically the idea I have now is while a team is capping the laser is charging up, then once capped the gun rotates and fires.

I think I've settled on an idea, theme-wise. A dusky desert, inspired much by the Meet the Engineer video. I've done some very basic texturing. Here's how its looking for A4:

koth_turret_a40016.jpg

koth_turret_a40017.jpg

koth_turret_a40019.jpg

koth_turret_a40020.jpg

koth_turret_a40021.jpg

koth_turret_a40022.jpg

EDIT: A4 released!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
Spinny kill thing is infuriating. I'd say skip it and have it spin when a team wins or something. Completely negated an overtime because it started spinning as the overtime happened and killed anyone who tried to get on the point to take it. Was also just annoying in general.

Last edited:

Karnage

Mar 19, 2010
This map was a lot of fun - really like the capture point. The only problem was the spinning thing sometimes blocked the ramp giving a massive advantage to one team. The ramps shouldn't be blocked for any long period of time

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
I will hate you forever for this map.
The spinny laser thing looks awesome, and I enjoy the layout of the map.
But... the frustration from that spinny laser thing, it breaks my heart.

Geal

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
I don't care what anyone says, I like the spinny thing. However, It could use some tweaking. I'm assuming it's there to make capping the point easier, or at least more exciting. However, many players don't like being killed by environment, especially when it's difficult to see coming. The things spin pretty fast, so it can be difficult to judge when to jump in. Maybe have them start spinning slower, then work up speed to what they're like now? The thing about the spinny bit is that it's difficult to judge when to jump in to try and stop the capture - you pretty much just gotta run in and hope you get lucky. It spins a bit too fast to try and judge it reliably - especially when you're focusing on trying to kill the person on the point. Maybe have it spin when it's fully capped, and make it STOP when it's being contested? So people fighting on it wouldn't have to worry about dying to the environment while fighting enemies.

And of course the spinny thing blocks the point at times.

Sep 1, 2009
Spinny thing goes round, spinny thing is awsome. Spinny thing blocks path sometimes. Spinny thing blocking the path is bad. Otherwise map is fun.

Why does that sound like a child's logic?

gastrop0d

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks everyone for playing and giving feedback.

The spinny-thing (or 'gyro' as I call it) was basically just an experiment to see how silly the point could be before it started getting annoying. I felt like it was really interrupting the combat on the point more than adding a fun extra dynamic.

As has been noted, being killed by it was unpredictable a large proportion of the time, and "dying for no reason" is a formula for purified, refined rage.

So gyro shall be removed.

I've heard a couple of comments that the map is really big, has anyone else had concerns over this?

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
:D sweeeeeet
I think you should still have it spinning above the point though!

Post Script

L1: Registered
Jul 2, 2010
The window in the 'sniper house' - maybe lower it/playerclip it slightly so you don't have to jump to get out of it.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008

gastrop0d

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks a lot for those demos! Was good to see the map under play when one team is rolling the other.

Shall fix the window for a5.

EDIT:

Started opening the map's setting up a bit more. It feels like the layout is pretty solid, so I figure a little bit more atmosphere can't hurt:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z212/gastrop0d/koth_turret_a50002.jpg

Expanded this area under the stairs and added a fence to reduce the wrath of the death pit a bit more:

koth_turret_a50003.jpg

Also have lowered the windows as suggested and removed the gyro. Going to be fun getting a5 complete!

EDIT 2:

koth_turret_a50005.jpg

koth_turret_a50006.jpg

Starting to come together!

Last edited: