Turning Test

KotH Turning Test A11

Etasus

L420: High Member
Jul 24, 2016
Turning Test - I purposefully misspelled Turing... I promise...

I have spent about four days making this... It's great!

Special thanks to:
@200 for those nice forcefields separating the outside from the inside
@VelvetFistIronGlove for the skybox

koth_turning_test_a10014.jpg

koth_turning_test_a10015.jpg
koth_turning_test_a10016.jpg
koth_turning_test_a10017.jpg

Etasus

Jul 24, 2016
Changelog:
-Fixed supply cabinets not working in red spawn
-Changed orientation of health and ammo to make the map not assymetrical
-Removed low gravity at mid, didn't seem to work out... May revisit later...
-Added a marking area around the point
-Added barriers to block some sightlines
-Redid lighting to go from a WRLD lighting to a WIP lighting...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Etasus

Jul 24, 2016
Changelog:
-Cap time reduced from 12 seconds to 10 seconds
-Changed textures of forcefeilds to a more nuetral orange
-Added barriers for more cover on the point
-Added clipping to avoid getting stuck near point
-Added clipping to prevent a "out of map" exploit (thanks @BigfootBeto for this information!)
-Decreased brightness of indoor areas
-Increased brightness of outdoor areas
-Increased size of mid by 96 HU

Etasus

Jul 24, 2016
Changelog:
-Added a set of pickups in the hallway
-Added some control point graphics to fit with the space theme
-Increased size of main path a little to make room for minor detailing and blocking a massive sightline
-Added a way to get on to the balcony from mid
-Removed health and ammo in spawn area
-Changed ground displacement texture
-Changed rock to solar panel to fit theme better
-Added asteroids into the skybox
-Added basic stairs leading to mid

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
Heres a bit of feedback for ya!

Lets start with the spawns and work our way out:
The spawnrooms are pretty good, I like the choice of being able to exit at a higher level which could help deal with spawncampers. However three spawn exits are quite a lot, as most king of the hill maps have around 2.

Moving out of spawn, the areas outside the spawns feel quite cramped, which I feel is partly due to the large pipes and low ceiling. Also the pipe in the center completely blocks the middle route from sight when exiting from the center spawn door which makes it look like there are only two paths to mid.

The area between spawns and mid also feels a bit cramped, I would suggest opening up more of the map to an outside environment and making areas a bit larger wouldn't hurt either.

Next, the force fields. I like the idea but walking up to them they looked like they solid and it felt weird to walk through them cause I felt they should be solid. Just my personal opinion, but I feel these could be better used as respawn room visualizers or similar. However if you do want to keep them maybe add some sort of indication that they can be walked through

Mid itself is pretty cool, I like the height differences around the point, with the areas above and underneath the point. However again it feels a bit cramped and there isnt a sniper balcony as such, just the far right enterance to mid, which gives the sniper limited vision to the point and not a whole lot else. Jumping around as soldier was also a bit frustrating as I kept bumping into the pipes which got in the way.

Again this is just my opinion, hope at least some of this is somewhat helpful :)

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
I like the idea of having scrrenshots from previous iteration to the latest. That alone helps to see what has changed.

Etasus

Jul 24, 2016
Lets start with the spawns and work our way out:
The spawnrooms are pretty good, I like the choice of being able to exit at a higher level which could help deal with spawncampers. However three spawn exits are quite a lot, as most king of the hill maps have around 2.
okay, so say I remove spawn, would you recommend the one to the side that's not elevated? I feel like this could work...
Moving out of spawn, the areas outside the spawns feel quite cramped, which I feel is partly due to the large pipes and low ceiling. Also the pipe in the center completely blocks the middle route from sight when exiting from the center spawn door which makes it look like there are only two paths to mid.
okay, so I remove the pipes in here, and just make it feel more open?
The area between spawns and mid also feels a bit cramped, I would suggest opening up more of the map to an outside environment and making areas a bit larger wouldn't hurt either.
I will probably end up redoing most of the walkways to mid...
Next, the force fields. I like the idea but walking up to them they looked like they solid and it felt weird to walk through them cause I felt they should be solid. Just my personal opinion, but I feel these could be better used as respawn room visualizers or similar. However if you do want to keep them maybe add some sort of indication that they can be walked through
I feel like I know what to do for this one, but a pipe or two (small, around 16 hu in diameter) going straight through the field...
Mid itself is pretty cool, I like the height differences around the point, with the areas above and underneath the point. However again it feels a bit cramped and there isnt a sniper balcony as such, just the far right enterance to mid, which gives the sniper limited vision to the point and not a whole lot else. Jumping around as soldier was also a bit frustrating as I kept bumping into the pipes which got in the way.
So, what if I remove those massive pipes? and just make that pipe continue its route through the ground? that should make jumping easier...

Etasus

Jul 24, 2016
Changelog:
-Replaced massive pipe system at mid with a small house
-Opened up the walkways to mid
-Moved health and ammo behind the point
-Retextured the dark gray dev texture to something better
-Added weird pipe that [hopefully] removes, or depreciates the value of a sniper sightline
-Changed cap time from 10 seconds to 8 seconds to make it a bit more back and forth due to the map's small size
-Decreased spawn exits from 3 down to 2

Etasus

Jul 24, 2016
Changelog:
-Added a pipe to break a sightline
-Fixed a texturing glitch
-Fixed a displacement seam
-Fixed the map being assymetrical
-Added a single window
-Small amount of optimization

I feel like I am very close to Beta... within one or two updates... I do, however, Intend to get some more testing done, but the gameplay is pretty much final...

Etasus

Jul 24, 2016
beta.png
Just wanted to let yall know that I will be updating this to Beta, which also means that this map probably won't be updated again for the next 2-3 weeks (due to school, and getting detailing in)

I do, however, have 2 minor gameplay elements that I will be implementing in B1, just to fix up the last few "bad" things... those being:
-Turns out, theirs a massive sightline right outside of spawn... (should be really fixable...)
-! exit from spawn isn't used enough, so I will be messing a bit with spawn placements...