tunnles/lighting

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by joestoia, Jun 22, 2009.

1. joestoia

joestoia L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I am sure this is here somewhere but going through pages i cant seem to find it.I know how to mess around with displacment tunnles. How doi correctly make tunnles like in dustbowl spawn. also how come when i make lights the area around the TOP of the lights is PITCH black? it is shadowed but no light is getting to it its not a leak.

2. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    If the top is black, either the lights are incredibly dim, or you have a leak.

Perhaps just use a light entity instead of a light_spot.

Also, I have no idea what you mean, like dustbowl's spawn. Do you mean blu's initial, in which case it's simply using vertex manipulation before having displacements.

3. joestoia

Positive Ratings:
    i mean tunnles built into the rockface. and everything fits as a single brush. I know you dont just use 3 big cubes left right top and then just mess around with the faces

4. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Actually if looking at blus first spawn gates from red side there are probably 5 brushes to make the tunnel.
    it's NOT a single brush, but the edges are all aligned so the displacements sew together smooth and appear to be one piece.

bottom left, bottom right, top left, top middle, top right.

Basically just build the terrain like you want it but keep all the edges aligned as if you weren't using displacements, then make them displacements.

5. joestoia

Positive Ratings:
    but what pieces do i sew together. im not totaly confident in my sew ability.

6. joestoia

Positive Ratings:
    also how come i cant find the maps that blizz said they placed in our folder that has maps that are already made.

7. Open Blade

Open Blade L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    If I were you I would open a new map and practice displacements. Read some tuts on it and then just dig in. They are confusing at first, but once you really get going on them, they can be more fun to work with then world brushes.

8. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can only sew faces if they are the exactly the same length (or one is exactly half the length of the other) and they are touching on the edge you want to sew. Also double check for a leak, its the most common reason ceiling appear pitch black, because the light does not bounce when there is a leak and its direct lighting only, so unless you have a light pointing at the ceiling (unlikely) it will be black.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  9. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Displacements don't block vis BTW, you need to but a world brush behind them (like a nodraw block to seal the world)