Trying to edit old map, has decompile protection

Cpt.Haxray

L1: Registered
Jun 2, 2017
Heya. I feel kinda awkward having to ask this as this is a result of my own stupidity, but I recently found an old map of mine back from 2010 that i dont think i ever publicly released(I think like 3 servers ran it and no one else, and none of those servers were very popular). I wanted to go back and possibly update it for use in tf2, but I had decompile protection added into the map.

Normally, I wouldn't have trouble getting around it as i know most of the tricks(useful to know how to get around your own compile protection incase you ever lose a copy of your map, or want to see how someone did a certain trick with triggers), but this map was protected with iid nodraw texture hack. Is there any way to get around this so i dont have to redo all of the texture work by scratch(As well as figure out what was a wall and what was an area portal, not that its too difficult)? I've tried googling for an answer but i found nothing but a link to the tool itself that does it, with no info on the read-me as to how to sort it out.

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
In case the latest version of BSPSource doesn't bypass the protection, you could use EntSpy to remove the "no_decomp 1" flag. I haven't used that tool in ages since Counter-Strike: Source, so I don't know if it supports the latest version TF2.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
I don't think bspsource creator implemented anything of the sort so the program just doesn't care about things that usually do not belong to the bsp itself so flags like no_decomp are ignored. Bspsource creator even improved the decompiling method. VMEX was unable to decompile areaportals at all, bspsource does pretty good job with those but still it's not perfect, nor it should be either. Decompiled maps should only be used as a reference, not to tamper with.