Trying to decrease physics for my compile, yet every effort results in higher physics

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Duffmanhb, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Duffmanhb

Duffmanhb L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So I'm in the last stage of finishing up my highly detailed map but got to around 100.7% physics when I compiled. So in an effort to reduce this, I removed the physics on a bunch of models and replaced them with func_brush/no render's. I also went around and made many unnecessary displacements not have any physics.

Yet here I am, and after all that effort my physics on compile has jumped from 100.7% to 101.4%.

What can I do to lower the physics?
    http://www.reddit.com/r/hammer/comments/2d607h/wiptf2_cp_attack/

2. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    im not sure how to solve your problem, but placing brushes around your props seems to me like a waste of file size and resources. You can set bounding box as physics for a prop without addig extra brushes.

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Physics data is not a hard limit, you don't really need to pay it any attention. Also, using func_brush as a replacement for prop collision isn't wise because sticky bombs cannot stick to brush entities.

4. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    use blockbullets instead, stickies can stick to that

also, semi-related fun hack: i make stickies stick to func_brushes by making an identical, fully blockbullets func_Detail entity in the same place as the func_brush, so they share all the same faces etc. the stickies put priority on the blockbullets and stick to it.

5. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    In fact, why do you use func_brush for colision? With invisible textured func_detail you wouldn't add on the entity count

6. wareya

Positive Ratings:
    don't use invisible for this, it has a hitscan penetration bug relating to the wrangler. use blockbullets.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Then why not use a func_detailed nodraw?

8. wareya

Positive Ratings:
    nodraw blocks light, invisible and blockbullets don't
    here's an example of clipping a prop with blockbullets from grasslight:
    [​IMG]

9. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Though you should use only 1 or 2 brushes instead of 6

10. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Why? Few things irritate players more than shooting and hitting a poor collision job instead of their target.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. wareya

Positive Ratings:
    I thought long and hard about which parts of which branches to solidify and decided that this was the best way to do it. It's all up to you when it's your own clipping, though.