True Confessions from a mapper

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Three Million, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Three Million

Three Million L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    We all have that one part of making or working on a map that we hate, or at the least not enjoy. For me I hate placing light entities everywhere and getting the reflections right. What are the worst parts of making a map for you?

2. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Coming up with an idea and layout.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Making the map

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    The worst part for me is when a map works and it plays fine. Some would celebrate that but for me that's just when people stop calling you out on your bullshit because you've reached a point where your map is tolerable. No one will tell you you're doing something wrong but deep down, you know it can be much better. That's when I need to take the time to fully process the layout in my brain before I can actually do anything to improve it in any semi coherent way. Those challenges are mine to face and mine alone and they usually results in long downtimes and that is what makes me feel the worst. I recently noticed that I'll even subconsciously avoid people when I'm in that state, I stop talking to my roommates and spend most of my time in agony locked in my room until I can figure things out.

I wish I could just space out and build maps without ever stopping but my creative process is fucked.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. nesman

aa nesman oh god how did this get here

Positive Ratings:
    getting size and distances and not over sizing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SmallBiscuit

SmallBiscuit L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I often jump to beta way too early, and end up abandoning the map. that or, i often make 10 maps in 1 day, and then drop all but 1 of them. and then i drop that one within a week, before it even hits alpha...

7. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    idk if this counts, but UV mapping

hammer-side, it'd have to be the random crashes and 3D skyboxes

8. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    I make lots of detailed setpieces but can never fit them into a map somewhere. I also want to make 2cp maps, but I always only complete 2/3 of it and have no idea how to finish the last third. (Thirds would be point A, point B, and connections between eachother or to spawns). I also hate making something that looks cool and when I flip it it is stupid broken with sights and such

9. ETG|Spycrabthatdies

ETG|Spycrabthatdies L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Making spawns i just find it annoying

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator trigger_hiss

Positive Ratings:
    Making concave collision models.

And on the mapping side: most of the time i make maps that look amazing but play and/or run like shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    When I'm inspired, large sections of how the completed map should look pop into my head, so the struggle is trying to recreate my vision in reality. And it never matches perfectly.

Then when playtesting shows that some of those areas just don't work, it's hard to just tear parts of it down even though it has to be done.

Luckily not all my maps pop into my head finalized, so those are always a lot easier to work with.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    Also, when I come up with an idea of something... And have no clue about what its surroundings look like, or just that I can't make what I didn't think of, which even results in empty spaces on paper layout drawings. Sucks, how brain can ignore what's not very important, and you gotta pay with some kind of block after.

13. FrostHoneyJuice

FrostHoneyJuice L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Releasing a map to the public & hearing people whine... just not being at least positive about something!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Berry

aa Berry Sharing is caring, and I don't care

Positive Ratings:
    Finding days where I don't have more important things to do (cough classwork) and actually have the energy to map

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. ArskaWarrior

ArskaWarrior L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    have boht sides balanced and making symmetry maps. I just hate symmetry at map making

16. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I love all of it.

17. obodobear

obodobear L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    For me it has to be creating displacements and getting them all to align... If I have those annoying shadowy lines in between them or a slight leak it annoys me so much

18. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    You must be doing something wrong. They are as easy to align as moving vertices is, and getting rid of the shadows is mere compiling on settings any better than fast.

19. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Do you overlap them?
    Displacements shouldn't intersect each other.

20. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    this is fixed by only selecting the top face of the displacement's brush when creating them