troubleshooting a prop

meatpopsicle

L1: Registered
Nov 9, 2007
hello,

I recently put out ctf_spacebase_b1 and got some feedback that the "spaceship" in the main hangar had no texture.

so sure enough, i load the map on the wifes computer and thats the case

now I've done 4 days of troubleshooting, and i cant make sense of it

the paths look right, and indeed if they were not right; how would it work on my computer in the first place?

i used pakrat, and bspzip and mapanalyst to add my custom content, all 3 result in this same problem

the vmt and vtf appear to be in the bsp ... and 4 other props ive added all work ...
which seems to indicate that at least most of what ive done is correct

so given that info ; and of course my map is downloadable on the site if you want to see it

what troubleshooting do you recommend I do? what method would work to find why the texture isnt working?

thanks in advance

meat

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
well...ive heard that packrat doesn't automatically load model textures, and you need to manually add them...

Cerulean

L3: Member
Sep 12, 2008
So after a quick look, here's what I'd suggest:

In the ufo1.vmt, remove the backslashes from the beginning of the file names ("models\blahblah" instead of "\models\blahblah")

And, pakrat showed that it had "materials\\models\seufo\ufo1.vtf" and "materials\\models\seufo\ufo2.vtf" (double backslashes)

So I'd try recompiling, edit the vmt to remove those backslashes, and repack. Hope that works.

Looks kinda marble-ish

Last edited:

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
You know what always seems to work for me? I make a single square brush and apply the custom object's material to it, then place the brush somewhere out of sight. When I do this, Pakrat always includes the material when you automatically add in custom content.

meatpopsicle

Nov 9, 2007
So after a quick look, here's what I'd suggest:

In the ufo1.vmt, remove the backslashes from the beginning of the file names ("models\blahblah" instead of "\models\blahblah")

And, pakrat showed that it had "materials\\models\seufo\ufo1.vtf" and "materials\\models\seufo\ufo2.vtf" (double backslashes)

So I'd try recompiling, edit the vmt to remove those backslashes, and repack. Hope that works.

Looks kinda marble-ish

hmmm, ok you may be on to something there, I dont recall double slashs but Ill check that out today, it would make sense being a pathing error

Hawk: thanks I may try that too but id rather "fix it" so I also understand what my technical error is as to avoid it in the future.

Thanks all for your tips & suggestions

meat

meatpopsicle

Nov 9, 2007
Cerulean - thanks again, that was it!

I had looked at my .vmt and .vtf files a lot but wasn't catching that leading \ , and of course the model file puts a \ at the end so was getting the "\\" that you caught.

Let me know if theres anything I can do for ya, need a texture made for a map or anything?

thanks!

meat