trouble with water

___man

L1: Registered
Oct 18, 2015
i have a small body of water connected via a door to a large outer body of water but the inside one has this issue

7D8DBBF886C32CD72F1C3A5CEA9068BBE8BEFD93

4259E097DE42EF22A280904D647099E66EEB1959

anyone have any clue why this is happening?

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
my best guess is due to clipping/leaks, but I think checking visleafs are the best way to go about exactly whats going wrong, again its probably clipping or leaks

and post note: I have had this issue prior, I fixed it, but I forgot how I fixed it.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Are the surfaces of each body of water at different heights? Source tends to have a heart attack when you have two bodies of water at different levels visible at the same time.

Certainly can't be a leak though, or else the water wouldn't render at all.

MoonFox

Mar 17, 2015
that's why I also put a note of possible clipping error, as interlocking brushes could derp the water and what is visible in it. To fix this would just be make sure your water is to scale around what you want, just in case of source having a heart attack when its like one HU non in closed.

herp derp: a tunnel of 64x64 would at least need the full block of water incasing the tunnel with no leaks, however this could be troublesome if your render time becomes to long and optimization is need

this is what I mean specifically: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oczec4vnzr6k7n/Untitled.png?dl=0

Last edited:

___man

L1: Registered
Oct 18, 2015
my best guess is due to clipping/leaks, but I think checking visleafs are the best way to go about exactly whats going wrong, again its probably clipping or leaks

and post note: I have had this issue prior, I fixed it, but I forgot how I fixed it.

I've checked the compile and ran it through interlopers.net/errors, there are no leaks.

Ill see about visleaf stuff, but how would i fix it like that?

Are the surfaces of each body of water at different heights? Source tends to have a heart attack when you have two bodies of water at different levels visible at the same time.

they are different heights but this is because the doorway is lower to make it possible to have the lower rooms, otherwise theyd be very short rooms or would be clipping above the surface. any suggestions for making what I have work or do i scrap it altogether due to source limitations?

MoonFox

Mar 17, 2015
its definitely fixable, its probably the clipping

MoonFox

Mar 17, 2015
what do you mean by the clipping?
actually I tested this for a brief bit: try turning the connect faces of the water into nodraw/invisible

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
they are different heights but this is because the doorway is lower to make it possible to have the lower rooms, otherwise theyd be very short rooms or would be clipping above the surface. any suggestions for making what I have work or do i scrap it altogether due to source limitations?
Honestly, yes, you may need to just scrap it, or at least find a way around the issue. Source just doesn't handle water very well if it's not all on one plane.

MoonFox

Mar 17, 2015
I took a quick spin around well, and well, all non surface faces have to be no draw or it wont work regardless

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
The only way you can have water on different levels in Source is if they're not visible at the same time, not in any visleafs that can see each other directly and are not even in the same visgroup for some reason. Furthermore, you should select all the brushes with water with the selection tool, apply nodraw to the brushes (and since the entire brush is selected it gets covered in nodraw entirely), then go to the material selection tool, deselect everything, and then reselect ONLY the surface face. Cover that with a water material and Source does the rest for you. Keep in mind Source is over 10 years old at this point, so it has its fair share of limitations, including rendering water.