trouble with water

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ___man, Nov 8, 2015.

1. ___man

___man L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i have a small body of water connected via a door to a large outer body of water but the inside one has this issue

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anyone have any clue why this is happening?

2. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    my best guess is due to clipping/leaks, but I think checking visleafs are the best way to go about exactly whats going wrong, again its probably clipping or leaks

and post note: I have had this issue prior, I fixed it, but I forgot how I fixed it.

3. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Are the surfaces of each body of water at different heights? Source tends to have a heart attack when you have two bodies of water at different levels visible at the same time.

Certainly can't be a leak though, or else the water wouldn't render at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    that's why I also put a note of possible clipping error, as interlocking brushes could derp the water and what is visible in it. To fix this would just be make sure your water is to scale around what you want, just in case of source having a heart attack when its like one HU non in closed.

herp derp: a tunnel of 64x64 would at least need the full block of water incasing the tunnel with no leaks, however this could be troublesome if your render time becomes to long and optimization is need

this is what I mean specifically: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oczec4vnzr6k7n/Untitled.png?dl=0

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  5. ___man

Positive Ratings:
    I've checked the compile and ran it through interlopers.net/errors, there are no leaks.

Ill see about visleaf stuff, but how would i fix it like that?

they are different heights but this is because the doorway is lower to make it possible to have the lower rooms, otherwise theyd be very short rooms or would be clipping above the surface. any suggestions for making what I have work or do i scrap it altogether due to source limitations?

6. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    its definitely fixable, its probably the clipping

7. ___man

Positive Ratings:
    what do you mean by the clipping?

8. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    actually I tested this for a brief bit: try turning the connect faces of the water into nodraw/invisible

9. ___man

Positive Ratings:
    the faces connecting both bodies of water?

It's already like that

10. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Honestly, yes, you may need to just scrap it, or at least find a way around the issue. Source just doesn't handle water very well if it's not all on one plane.

11. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
  12. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    I took a quick spin around well, and well, all non surface faces have to be no draw or it wont work regardless

13. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    The only way you can have water on different levels in Source is if they're not visible at the same time, not in any visleafs that can see each other directly and are not even in the same visgroup for some reason. Furthermore, you should select all the brushes with water with the selection tool, apply nodraw to the brushes (and since the entire brush is selected it gets covered in nodraw entirely), then go to the material selection tool, deselect everything, and then reselect ONLY the surface face. Cover that with a water material and Source does the rest for you. Keep in mind Source is over 10 years old at this point, so it has its fair share of limitations, including rendering water.

• Useful Useful x 1