1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Trouble with moving objects

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by NumbersAndNoise, Jul 19, 2008.

1. NumbersAndNoise

NumbersAndNoise L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've started messing around with making a pl map that implements one of the ideas that one of the guys from Valve mentioned in an interview, a cart large enough to build on. I put together a cart made of brushes and props and parented them all to the func_tracktrain. The problem, though, is that while the cart moves, the players and buildings on top of it do not move with it. Is there any way around this?

2. Spacemonkeynz

Spacemonkeynz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    The players should move, what is the actual cart made out of? func_brush's or a prop? Is the player standing on the func_train?

In my map when the player stands on the func_train he moves with the cart.

3. Tigger

Tigger L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make your brush a func_brush, and parent it to the func_tracktrain. Make sure you mark the Solidity of the brush as Always Solid and Solid BSP to Yes

4. samn

samn L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Will that allow buildings to be built on top?

5. Tigger

Tigger L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmmm... just tested. With what I told you, you can build on the platform, but then it doesn't parent and just stays where you initially placed it.

Apparently someone made a mod to do this...

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=69060

I'm going to keep investigating.

6. NumbersAndNoise

NumbersAndNoise L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    yeah, people can stand on the cart (func_brushes with some props attached) but don't move with it, so I'll move the func_train up a little so that it's what the players are making direct contact with. That plugin looks like it should solve my problem, at least as soon as I can figure out how to implement it. Is it part of a map, serverside, what?