Trouble With Custom Textures Since Steampipe.

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

43eyes

L1: Registered
May 21, 2012
Okay, so I have ran into trouble when it comes to getting custom textures to work. So, ever since I followed this guide, I am now having these troubles I am explaining. So, after following the guide, all custom textures show up like this in Hammer:
3lPkr.jpg

But in game, they show up, but they're full bright.
3lPxt.jpg

So I thought I would try copying pasting my "common/Team Fortress 2/tf/download/materials" contents to my 'common/Team Fortress 2/tf/materials" folder. That got the materials to show up properly in Hammer, how ever it broke my maps compile completely. When running through Vrad, it spams "Bad leaf ambient for leaf XXXX" and spams that about 2000 times, counting 1 in the XXXX every time, then crashes. This is really annoying and wish I could get some help. Thanks. :)

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
you're main problem is that your texture doesn't show up in hammer. this is the first thing you need to fix because the compile process doesn't know that the texture on this face is using the "LightmappedGeneric" shader and so it doesn't know that it has to compile a lightmap for it and so you get fullbright.

get the texture to show in hammer and you'll be fine.
I have not read the guide you followed and I don't know much about your current setup so I don't really know why hammer can't access the same materials as tf2 but you probably are going to copy your custom textures to an other folder somewhere...

edit: wait I didn't read at all, but you're on the right track

43eyes

May 21, 2012
you're main problem is that your texture doesn't show up in hammer. this is the first thing you need to fix because the compile process doesn't know that the texture on this face is using the "LightmappedGeneric" shader and so it doesn't know that it has to compile a lightmap for it and so you get fullbright.

get the texture to show in hammer and you'll be fine.
I have not read the guide you followed and I don't know much about your current setup so I don't really know why hammer can't access the same materials as tf2 but you probably are going to copy your custom textures to an other folder somewhere...

edit: wait I didn't read at all, but you're on the right track

Thanks for the reply. You can read the guide I followed, I linked it on the text "this guide" so you can click on it and it will take you to the guide.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
You might try putting them in /steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/custom/[new folder, whatever you want to call it]/materials. I'm pretty sure TF2 doesn't recognize /tf/materials/ anymore, so even if you got around your compiling error, it wouldn't know what to do when it loads the map. And hey, maybe it'll get around the compiling error too. I haven't tried compiling anything since the switchover yet, but I've experimented with client-side modding.

43eyes

May 21, 2012
You might try putting them in /steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/custom/[new folder, whatever you want to call it]/materials. I'm pretty sure TF2 doesn't recognize /tf/materials/ anymore, so even if you got around your compiling error, it wouldn't know what to do when it loads the map. And hey, maybe it'll get around the compiling error too. I haven't tried compiling anything since the switchover yet, but I've experimented with client-side modding.

I got my textures to work. I was launching from the SDK. I still have a problem when I try to compile from VBCT. My textures are fullbright when I compile from VBCT, but fine when I compile normally. When compiling in VBCT, it says it could not find any of my custom textures, but fine when using the default compiler.

eqprog

Jun 19, 2013
I got my textures to work. I was launching from the SDK. I still have a problem when I try to compile from VBCT. My textures are fullbright when I compile from VBCT, but fine when I compile normally. When compiling in VBCT, it says it could not find any of my custom textures, but fine when using the default compiler.

You probably need to tell VBCT where your textures are. I'm not personally familiar with that app, but if its reading from gameinfo.txt you need to make sure you update that file.

I'm curious how you got your texture to work. I am currently having the same problem, kind of.

In my case, the texture shows up fine in Hammer's texture browser, but when I apply it to a brush, the brush gets the pink and black checkered texture instead. It appears this way in-game also.

edit: right now its in tf/custom/mytextures/materials/tile. I've tried tf/materials/tile also and I get the same thing.

Last edited:

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
I am having the same problem right now, trying to use my custom textures in Hammer. They show-up fine in the browser/picker, but in the 3d textured preview they are black-and-purple checkered!

Did you ever get past this?

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I am having the same problem right now, trying to use my custom textures in Hammer. They show-up fine in the browser/picker, but in the 3d textured preview they are black-and-purple checkered!

If you modify the textures (especially the vtf) while hammer is open, you get the purple checkerboard. Only fix I know of is to restart hammer.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

You resurrected a year-old thread to ask a question you already made your own thread for. :mad: If eqprog hasn't visited the site in almost a year, bumping his thread isn't going to magically summon him.