Scampi

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 8, 2017
Alright, got another problem to solve.
So I've ended up accumulating a decent swath of custom content (haven't we all), and I been kind of annoyed by how disorganized it was. I'm quite satisfied with how the construction and frontline packs are setup, where you can just go to the props_construction folder or whatever in the model viewer, and all the related props are there and nowhere else.
I had the idea to create a sort of homemade asset pack for all other the models and textures I've downloaded. I copied the file structure of the construction pack, and placed all of the models and their textures in their proper places. I checked this over extensively to make sure it was set up perfectly.
And of course, it didn't work. Well, it works for models, but not textures. And unlike other cases where the textures won't show up in hammer but end up working in game (sfm models), compile pal wasn't even able to finish compiling.
So is what I'm trying to do possible? If yes, what am I doing wrong? If not, what's the next closest option?
Thanks in advance.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
You need to recompile them. The place the texture is expected to be is baked into the model upon compiling. You should use the custom folder structure for what you're trying to do, and organise each thing into it's own directory. But custom folder has some problems that comes with it, so up to you

Scampi

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ah... that's what I was afraid of. I ended up re-installing everything to fix it. I don't really know enough about this to want to tamper with it further.

Also, one last question. I recently downloaded a huge pack of sfm assets. A number of the props in the props_facemovie folder have either one of two issues: They lack textures in hammer but work properly in a compiled map, or they cause hammer to instantly crash when loaded in the model viewer. What's the deal with this?