Trouble with Areaportals

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
I've been mapmaking for a while now, and there was one thing I avoided doing due to it always inevitably failing; areaportals. I tried to use them on Flurry, but they all appeared closed when I ran the map. I didn't take any screenshots of it, but they all were closed. When I tried to remove a possibly problematic areaportal, and error message occurred when I ran it saying: Portalcount > Areaportalcount

I have no clue what's going on and my map's framerates are suffering because of this issue.

Last edited:

Gangstahwezel

L1: Registered
Aug 22, 2015
Besides putting the areaportal tooltexture on the brush, did you change the brush to an entity and set it to be a func_areaportal in the object propperties window? If you did that you can check the settings in the propperties window, is the portal set to open or closed? You want it to be set to open.

If that doesn't fix it you might want to read over the article on areaportals on the valve developer wiki, see if that can help you diagnose the issue.

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
yes, they were func_areaportals, and yes, the portal is set to open. I've no clue what's happening, do the areaportals have to fully close up a room, or could you just pop one in a doorway? I'll try the wiki, maybe there'll be answers there

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011