Trouble With Area Portals, portalnum > numareaportals

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Tryhard Trevor, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Tryhard Trevor

Tryhard Trevor L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm having an issues with some func_areaportals. I have a room, which contains three area portals, two here:
    [​IMG]
    And one over here:
    [​IMG]

The room appears to have no leaks, and the area portals completely enclose the room. When the map loads, however, I get the engine error: portalnum > numareaportals. Is there something I need to change? This also happens almost any room I try to put area portals in on the entire map.

2. PyroDevil

PyroDevil L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    That error means you have a leak in your map. If you have a leak anywhere in a map with areaportals, you will get that error. You can view where the leak comes from by going to Map-> View pointfile.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Tryhard Trevor

Positive Ratings:
    The pointfile is showing that the leak begins at the area portal, and then it trails off into the skybox.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    do you have radius culling enabled? The button is between :cordonedit: and :selectbyhandles: (why do we lack the icon for radius culling?)
    If yes, disable it. It's basicly compleetly uselss and fucks up your compiles.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Tryhard Trevor

Positive Ratings:
    Radius culling is not turned on.

6. PyroDevil

Positive Ratings:
    My suggestion is to uncheck areaportal in the visgroup (it's a to the left), compile the map again, and check the new pointfile

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Tryhard Trevor

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry, I'm not really sure how to do that. You'll have to explain further.

8. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure that area portals need to be touching world geometry on 4 sides or else they'll cause a leak. Are any of the walls surrounding your areaportals func_detail?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. PyroDevil

Positive Ratings:
    On the left of you screen, there should be a box labled visgroups. Select the Auto tab and scroll down to areaportal and uncheck it. Then recompile the map and check the newly generated pointfile

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Tryhard Trevor

Positive Ratings:
    I double checked, and none of the brushes surrounding the area portals are func_details. I do however have func_details inside the room that may cause the room to not really "be a room." By that, I mean that the floor is a func_detail, and thus not all the walls in the room are just regular solids.

So I did this, and although I was able to run the map without the engine error, the pointfile appears to be missing. Side-note, I don't get any compile log errors regarding the area portal.

11. Tryhard Trevor

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the offer, but I'd rather learn then have someone do the work for me.

• Like Like x 4
  12. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    The way areaportals work, you have to treat rooms sealed by them like miniature versions of a full map. They will leak if the room is not otherwise completely enclosed by world brushes. Think about it this way: if you can get from one side of an areaportal to the other without going through a world brush or another areaportal, then you have a leak. So in your case, you'll either have to turn the floor back into a world brush, or seal underneath it.

Also, a lack of a pointfile is good news. That means the map didn't leak and the compiler had no need to generate one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    That's not 100% correct. You can make areaportal that has at least 3 sides facing air. Thing is that it works sometimes, sometimes doesnt.

Not sure about this, but I think vbsp chooses two faces of areaportal brush at "random" and it is luck based if it chooses right ones

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Tryhard Trevor

Positive Ratings:
    Awesome! After I made sure that the room was was entirely sealed, and that no func_details were used for walls and floors, I finally got it to work! Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciated!

15. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    That's what we are here for.