Trouble getting a spotlight to work.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
:thumbdown:

This might sound noobish but I tried for 2 hours last night trying to get a spotlight to work, but failed. I even tried looking in to the valve maps but nothing. Copied over their light entities and still didn't work. Anyone want to shine some light on this? (pun intended)

Oct 25, 2007
:thumbdown:

This might sound noobish but I tried for 2 hours last night trying to get a spotlight to work, but failed. I even tried looking in to the valve maps but nothing. Copied over their light entities and still didn't work. Anyone want to shine some light on this? (pun intended)

Is it not working at all? or is it not pointing where you wanted it to point?

If it's not working at all, I would go leak hunting. If you've got a leak in your map, the light entities won't work properly.

If it isn't pointing where you want it to point, create an info_target entity. in the light_spot entity properties, you'll see a field called entity to point at. Just enter the name of the info_target entity.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
no, its not working at all. ive checked for leaks and have none. i made a large brush and just hollowed it out and made the skybox like that for testing, so no leaks are possible.

regular lights work, but light spots dont.

Logo

L3: Member
Oct 25, 2007
So it's a light_spot entity and it's not shining? Be sure that the entity is not inside a prop entity (my general guide is that the yellow line that appears in the light entity when viewing it in the 2d views should not be inside of anything else). Also try upping the brightness especially if you are using a skybox texture and/or light_environment as it could be overpowering the light.

Also play with the inner (bright) and outer angles of the light.

Screenshots would be helpful in debugging the issue.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
thanks guys, ill post screenshots along with the vmf sample when i get home.