Triggered Explosions that blow up walls

Dythsmia

L1: Registered
Jun 4, 2018
How do I allow a trigger that explodes a wall. Is there a special prop for it? or is it something that isn't possible.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Destructable environments aren't natively supported by the Source engine (only very basic stuff can be done and it isn't multiplayer friendly), anything that looks like it gets destroyed (like payload explosions) has been animated before hand in programs such as Blender or 3DS Max and then imported into the map and played as an animated prop.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Most explosions in Source are just particle systems emitted by the entity info_particle_system (or sometimes by animated props). To create the explosion, pick an explosion particle system from the list and stick it in your particle system entity, then fire an output from your trigger to the particle system to start the explosion animation. This alone, however, will not actually destroy a wall. To create a destroyed wall effect, you have a couple options. Like Vel0city said above, you could model and animate an exploding wall prop, but this will be difficult, especially if you don't know how to model, and most people on here probably don't care to model it for you without some kind of reward or payment. Alternatively, you could use a func_breakable as your wall. This entity is capable of destroying itself and producing flying gibs when sent an input. I think the gibs use HL2 textures though, so those may look out of place in TF2. If you want to go really simple, just use a func_brush and disable it during the explosion. The wall will just disappear from view rather than spawning gibs, so I'd recommend an explosion effect that completely engulfs the wall.