trigger_push + ladders

Jayden

L1: Registered
Jul 28, 2010
Alright, I've tried everything, run my searches, and I'm back with more derp.

I've identified an area in my map where I'd like to give the player the option to jump into a pit (dropping them from the sky, taking partial damage) or climb back up (at fast speed) to a highly active part of the map. Gameplay wise, I'm confident this will be beneficial.

I set out to create a trigger_push brush covering the ladder, and gave it the following values:

Push direction -90 0 0 (up)
Speed of push (tried 40 and 4000)
Flags:
[x] clients

I can tell it's doing something because when i enter the area ingame it causes the client to shake, but not move. Halp.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Upward pushes will not push unless the player disconnects from the ground. That only happens if they fall from 19 or more units, jump, or the object they are standing on vanishes.

Feb 18, 2009
First, try jumping when inside the push trigger. The player needs to me off the floor for the entity to work (pushing up at least). if still no joy, check that nothing is catching the player just above their head.

However, ladders are pretty much a no-go zone in TF2 (only gimmicky/crazy/fun maps can get away with it). Same goes for lifts/elevators and teleporters. I understand your idea but there is always a better option to a ladder, even if it means editing the layout slightly to accommodate a ramp/staircase.

EDIT: +1 ninja boojum

Jayden

L1: Registered
Jul 28, 2010
I did read that in a previously search post, however I did attempt to fall and jump into the trigger, still with no luck.

Additionally, I've played a few maps (2tpl_mine_alpine being a great example) where trigger_push is seemingly used for ladders, and there's really no fall to climb those. Curious jayden is curious.

Firest0rm

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 27, 2009
another way to make a ladder would be to make a near-vertical staircase, like 16 units up and 1 across (not sure if that's possible, stairs might need to be thicker) that looks like a ladder.

however, i agree with mick-a-nator that you shouldn't use ladders, because they don't work well in tf2 due to the lack of a climbing animation, and the fact that having a climbing animation would be bad, because you can't climb and shoot at the same time

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
What FireSt0rm said, you can make staircases with a 18unit height and 1 unit thickness and it will act like a ladder