Transparant textures

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Faux Rhinoceros, May 7, 2011.

1. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Transparant textures not transparent :(

Hai :3

Im working on a texture pack for TF2 that contains all the current minecraft blocks!

Now, some of the blocks are partially transparant. I have tried to save their textures, both as .tga and .png, and load them into VTFEdit. But the result looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Did i do something wrong? Do i have to write something special in the .vmt file? Does it only look like that in hammer?

Thx in advance :3

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I think when you make them you have to edit the alpha channels in (the part that makes them see-through).

3. Wander

Wander L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    There are multiple vtf data formats, make sure you pick one that supports alpha

I've used "DXT5" for some poster textures where I needed parts to be completely transparent
    For partial transparency you might need "ARGB8888"

While saving you might also need to check the "Eight Bit Alpha" image flag

4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm. Do you happen to have Photoshop? Because the Photoshop VTF plugin automatically converts the transparency to an alpha channel as long as you select a preset that has "with alpha" in its description or a format with an "A" in its name like BGRA8888.

Also, since you're making a Minecraft theme, here's something that might interest you. You can specify that the filtering (sort of like antialiasing, but for textures) has the same jagged-edged quality as the original game by ticking the "Point Sample" box in your VTF file.

5. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Hey! i Fixed it :D

I just added "$vertexalpha" 1 and that made it work :D

6. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure a pack of such textures already exists. I'd try the googles.