Translucent water

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ☦₪TBC₪☦ Oni, Sep 11, 2019.

1. ☦₪TBC₪☦ Oni

☦₪TBC₪☦ Oni L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm creating a map that is 50% water but i have the problem is that in the water you can't see the enemies

i tried with cubemaps and another water textures (didn't work)
    2fort and the hydro_cheap water solved the problem but looks bad and i want to do this with the water of the map cp_well
    the problem is you can't see enemies

how i can make the water more translucent?

2. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You'd probably need to either create a custom material or water texture. My first recommendation would be to create a custom material by copying the water you like the look of the most, and adding the $alpha value to it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ☦₪TBC₪☦ Oni

Positive Ratings:
    How i can do it?

4. Yakibomb

Yakibomb L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have water brushes with different dimensions? If you do, the water won't be see-through because of how Source works.

Like if you have a water brush at 200 HU height, and another at 48 HU height, the water won't be translucent when you swim in it.

(This might be false info. I heard it a long time ago before I started mapping. Can someone confirm?)

5. ☦₪TBC₪☦ Oni

Positive Ratings:
    i only have one

6. Tumby

aa Tumby

Positive Ratings:
    @Da Spud Lord That's is not how water works.
    Download GCFScape
    Go to your installation folder of TF2. Go to Team Fortress 2/tf/
    Open tf2_misc_dir.vpk
    Go to materials/water/ and extract the water that you want to edit. For example, if you want to edit water_well, you will have to extract water_well.vmt, water_well_beneath.vmt, water_well_beneath_dx80.vmt and water_well_dx80.vmt
    Rename these files. Replace the word "well" with anything you like. I will use the word "oni".
    So now we have water_oni.vmt, water_oni_beneath.vmt, water_oni_beneath_dx80.vmt and water_oni_dx80.vmt
    Go to Team Fortress 2/tf/custom/ and create a new folder with any name you like. I will use "oni water edit".
    Inside that folder create a folder called "materials" and inside of that create a folder called "water".
    So now we have Team Fortress 2/tf/custom/oni water edit/materials/water/
    Place the VMT files in there.
    Open all VMT files in a text editor. I recommend using Notepad++.
    You will find that these VMTs reference other VMTs. water_well is going to reference water_well_dx80 and water_well_beneath. water_well_beneath is going to reference water_well_beneath_dx80. water_well_dx80 is going to reference water_well_beneath.
    Rename these references in the same way you renamed the files.
    Now just edit the $fogstart and $fogend parameters. Simple.
    Note: Editing the fog for the beneath materials affects visibility while inside the water. The other materials affect how clear the water is from the outside.
    You could also just set $fogenable to 0 for all materials. It won't be pretty, but considering your map is 50% water, the visuals aren't gonna be the biggest problem anyways.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ☦₪TBC₪☦ Oni

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you so much