CP TrainSpawn

Wolfen

L1: Registered
Jan 24, 2010
Red_Canyon

Release 2 information in post #8.

This is my first Team Fortress 2 map that I've decided to release, my fifth that I've started.

The basic idea behind the map is its work in progress name. I wanted to have a moving spawn at the beginning of the map. Players would spawn into the train and it would take them to the battlefield. For my first version this doesn't work and is just a stationary spawn room.

The other idea was to create a cave like area and work with the mining theme. A large objective was to learn displacement maps. Which I'm still doing. You will find both seamless and very obvious seams between my displacements but I'm looking into how they're happening so I can fix them as soon as possible.

My largest joy has been reaching a point where artificial intelligence can both win and loose a map depending on how smart they wish to be.

I do feel like also mentioning the train models are not mine, the only thing of mine is the map layout which came from my brain, and the texture I created to give them credit in the spawn areas.

To make this less of a headache on players who just want to play on a server and not go out and download the models or bug me for the textures, I've decided to pack them in. After rereading the readme's for the models I didn't see any clause claiming I can't do this but if they wish I will remove them from the maps files immediately.

So enjoy my first published Team Fortress 2 map and leave a comment or review as I'd love to know what people think be they good or negative comments.

Edit: Received reports the download link was providing 403 errors so I've uploaded to another site instead and put it in a .zip folder.

Last edited:
T

The Asylum

Word of advice, moving platforms hate TF2 players. You'll find that people will sometimes get stuck inside them, phasing through them, and other fun things. It's not an issue with other Source games ie. HL2, but in multiplayer such as TF2 and CS, things are coded differently to compensate for things like lag and consistency. That's one of the downsides of the Source engine (and actually most other engines of the Quake family)

Kiddnils

L3: Member
Sep 2, 2011
I tried the same and found a solution you need to have the skybox move. The train shouldn't. If you want my help just pm me.

Wolfen

Jan 24, 2010
Word of advice, moving platforms hate TF2 players. You'll find that people will sometimes get stuck inside them, phasing through them, and other fun things. It's not an issue with other Source games ie. HL2, but in multiplayer such as TF2 and CS, things are coded differently to compensate for things like lag and consistency. That's one of the downsides of the Source engine (and actually most other engines of the Quake family)

I've been experimenting with moving platforms for multiplayer and single player source games for a while. I have found that sometimes lower speeds lend themselves to situations where lag could appear and thus the clipping and phasing doesn't happen as much.

Also the map generally looks extremely dark.

Which is what I've been hearing for a while so I've been slowly making the lights brighter and brighter. In my latest version that I've been working on the lights are better spaced in the hallways and the arenas are much better in terms of lighting but there are still some areas that seem dark because of their location or incomplete status.

I tried the same and found a solution you need to have the skybox move. The train shouldn't. If you want my help just pm me.

For this map I'm stuck with a moving platform because of how many levels there are to it between the train moving then stopping, the red team setting up in a tunnel and everything else. On the flip side I've been trying to make the skybox move for other maps I've been working on and I keep failing. Do you happen to know how to do this for Left 4 Dead 2? If not I wouldn't mind learning TF2 and then seeing if I could spread this between my other projects.

That is all I have for you for now. I'll get right back into fixing some issues I found with the map in my last test.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
You2me International Federation Freightways

lol

I bet ym still hates my guts for that one.

T

The Asylum

Actually, Convoy uses a scrolling texture to immitate the feeling of moving. Everything in the map is entirely static.

Here's the VMT wizardy I shamelessly stole from Convoy for Spaceball:

"LightmappedGeneric"
{
"$basetexture" "outerspace/red_plasma_line_scroll"
"$surfaceprop" "Glass"
"$selfillum" 1
"Proxies"
{
"TextureScroll"
{
"texturescrollvar" "$baseTextureTransform"
"texturescrollrate" 0.6
"texturescrollangle" 90
}
}
}

Wolfen

Jan 24, 2010
Welcome to release two of Red Canyon.

Since the last map I have implemented my moving spawn room, You can change classes while in the train but you will end up being killed and sent directly to the platform. While this might be an effective way to try and skip riding in the train, the timer is set up so that you can't leave the platform till the setup runs out. Which is about ten seconds after the train arrives.

Also included in this release is the second control point thus completing the main gameplay area for the moment. Unless I can find a place to put a third control point, this will be the max. After this it will be forming canyon walls, adding a few items to help improve pathing, as well as adding textures and finishing giving the hallways and interior sections a theme.

Another piece I'd love to hear back from are some brilliant engineer camps and other interesting uses of classes in this map.

Also I'd like to hear, and see any images or videos you get of glitching out of the train. I'd like to be able to try and lock that down by next release.

Any ideas about say lighting, or improvements I'm open too.

Thank you all for your help on the first map and I look forward to your insight on this release.