Train Tracks

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Three Million, May 4, 2016.

1. Three Million

Three Million L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I am looking for a set of train tracks that have different parts such as splits, straights, curves. Basically tracks that you cant find in the model browser or texture window . Also if possible none with the wooden ties in the middle. Here is a reference picture, sorry if it is small.

2. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know what you mean by the first sentence, but you can create your own complex track pieces by overlapping the existing ones and lining up the rails. As for the tracks without ties, there are a few already but not as many varieties as the ones with ties.

3. Three Million

Positive Ratings:
    Train tracks of various lengths and shapes. I know I could make a few custom models and import them, though I would like to find any prefabs or pre made ones to save time. Also I never made my own models before :engiemeh:

4. sooshey

Positive Ratings:
    You don't have to make custom models, just place the tracks on top of each other. You can even get real precise by taking the 32-u track and rotating bit by bit to make a custom curve. Lots of official maps do this already, like frontier and upward.

5. Three Million

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

What about if I wanted to make the track in the direction of the arrow? I tried flipping it and rotating it on the X, Y and Z axis. The model is named models/props_mining/track_y_joint_arc_90.mdl

6. sooshey

Positive Ratings:
    You can't mirror props. But this is what I was talking about:
    [​IMG]
    Use the props they already give you. Yeah, sure the wooden ties overlap, but no one's going to notice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Or if you know what you're doing - you can decompile the prop and mirror it in a modelling package.

8. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
    If you want the wooden ties to not overlap, use the track_rail models with the track_tie models. This will however increase the number of entities in your map.

9. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Prop_static is an internal entity and therefore does not contribute to any entity limits.

10. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
    I did not know that. I always presumed there was a limit on the number of prop_static entities you could use.

11. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    That's more of a prop spam limiter and fps thing (more props = more polygons to render) than an actual engine limit.

12. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    prop_static has it's own chunk(s) in the map file and has its own limit.

13. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    If you can't find suitable pieces without ties, you might be able to get away with sinking the ties into the concrete so they can't be seen. (based on what I see in your reference image.

14. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Are you telling me there's not already a mirror of that split track in the game somewhere? I thought somebody made a pack of flipped track pieces and Valve added it to the game when they added, like, Nightfall or something.

15. sooshey

Positive Ratings:
    I checked for one when i made that reference image, and there was none. Unless it has a really weird name.

16. Three Million

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks! Yeah
    I thought so too, or it seems like there should be one. If I knew more about creating models I would make a train track resource pack.

17. DerpzSpycrab

DerpzSpycrab L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You could just rotate that curved track 90 degrees clockwise if I'm not mistaken.

18. sooshey

Positive Ratings:
    Those two track pieces are attached, that's one prop