Train help

pennsyrail

L2: Junior Member
May 12, 2016
Hello TF2 Maps! I have very little experience with blender, but quite a bit with Hammer. I was just wandering if anyone would be able to help me create new trucks (bogies) for the train cars and diesel in TF2. I was going to do some curving track with the train moving through it, but I want the trucks to move independently (poosibly the couplers too). I wanted to know if you can attach the truck model to an axis on the underside of the car and have it pivot? Also, is there a way to cut parts off models in Blender? Below is an example of the trackwork it will have to navigate and a visual for my idea...
Thanks,

Dante
boxcar.png

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
You could parent them to the cart. But they won't rotate to follow the track. tracktrains really aren't designed to have wagons attached to them.

B!scuit

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 12, 2016
You can separate vertices / edges / faces with the Y key in blender, but to separate into a separate model so you can export the pieces you'll need to use P.

oh you'll also need crowbar and blender source tools. the official thread for those is here.

Once you have a "truckless" boxcar and a separate model for each of the trucks you just need to make a func_track_train to parent the boxcar to, then make two func_door_rotating entities and parent the trucks to those. Plus you should be able to make some I/O that tells the "doors" to rotate when the tracktrain enters the turn (don't rotate the train by accident or you'll be multi-track drifting!)

Edit: I just realised having the trucks as separate track trains that move at the same speed is way more accurate AND easier to set up.

Attachments

• separate_selection.jpg
    separate_selection.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 145
  • separate_selection.jpg
    separate_selection.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

pennsyrail

L2: Junior Member
May 12, 2016
Thanks so much! That is exactly what kind of design I was looking for. I am really just annoyed that all the tf2 maps have trains that just move in straight lines... I will give it a go!