KotH Trafik

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Kingdom, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Kingdom

Kingdom L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys I've been lurking here on the forum for quite a while and finaly decided to give it a go yesterday with my second (the first was burned) map, Koth_Trafik! Now I am no fool and realize I have a ways to go before I make this map anywhere near pretty or cool or fun... Anyway I would love to hear any criticism from you guys (bonus points if you tell me how and why to fix it).

So far I realize I need these things done

-detail dem buildings
    -figure out how to cubemap
    -player testing
    -replace the rock(s)
    -light <- if you could help me with one thing let this be it!
    -textures
    -possibly fix the below koth point to sync up with the above <- anyone know how?
    -i'm sure someone will find something else

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. Lenny

Lenny L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Since you want to get lighting in as soon as possible (and even if you don't necessarily want to, you should), place a light_environment in your map. Dark maps are the worst, and barely anybody likes playing on them. You should also post your map in the next game day thread if you want it tested, as a map that's fun to play on is better than a map that's pretty.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Kingdom

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, will do. Though this map is meant to be a bit dark I realize it is crippling dark as it is.

4. TyeZenneth

TyeZenneth L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    There are a lot of interesting discussions on the topic of night maps, but the main consensus seems to be this: make your playable areas just as bright as day maps, and keep everything else dark to provide atmosphere.

5. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
  6. jared5

jared5 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    To make both points sync up to act the same I'm pretty sure you can just make one point like a normal koth map, and then shift-drag the entire thing to make the second point.

Also; those little barriers on the above point make it look a bit closed in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Kingdom

Positive Ratings:
    Hey all, So it's been about a week since I last posted and I am proud to announce a2 is almost complete! It brings new ways to get to mid, tunnels, dev textures and lighting! But before I can post it I seem to have run in to a little problem. Every time I try to compile this map it crashes tf2. Now i've combed through the logs but I cant seem to find the problem (it's not the lighting as far as I can tell). So if you guys could look over this and share some of your infinite wisdom that would be great!

8. TyeZenneth

TyeZenneth L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, right off the bat even I can tell that one of your entities has leaked. You might want to get that checked out.
    Aside from that, I'm not well-versed enough in Hammer to say what else could be wrong, and I'm not sure if a leak alone would cause you to crash on launch.

9. Kingdom

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I noticed that right after I posted and unfortunately moving it back within the skybox borders (idk how it got outside) did not fix it. Thanks for giving it a look though.

10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    If moving an errant entity inside doesn't fix a leak, it's because you also have an actual leak in your map somewhere. As in there's a gap somewhere. Check your pointfile.

EDIT: Also, some of your light sources have a spread angle of more than 90 degrees; it's complaining about that.

11. Kingdom

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I've learned the art of the leak and I fixed that. Heck, I even went around and fixed all the lights but even with a squeaky clean compile log BOOM still black screen crash whenever it loads resources for the map.

12. Chronicius

Chronicius L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Shall i consider the gloom to symbolize of the frontiers of perception?

Or is it a mere developmental oversight?