Totalling new to making maps

Paddy

L1: Registered
Dec 24, 2007
Hey!

I'm totally new to making maps but id love to be able to make some maps and i have an idea for one id like to try. Sadly i dont have a clue where to start and i was wondering if anyone here could help me? just to let you now i am totally clueless and am struggling getting the jist of making just a simple room let alown a spawn room.

Thanks in advance,

Paddy

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Paddy, nice to see you are interested in mapping.

First download source sdk from the steam tools tab.

Than, read the tutorials here:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map

Than, move on to the more advanced stuff like capture points etc. It takes time to learn what you can do with hammer and how to use it. Decompile some maps and look around, if you wonder 'why the hell is this for', use the link i gave you, thats almost everything i can say.

Ps; never release your first map :p it will probably suck anyways :) thats normal.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Ps; never release your first map :p it will probably suck anyways :) thats normal.

First? hah. I always go through about 5 before i ever show it =( But yes Paddy, welcome! Hope to see some work from you soon =)

G

Gonzales

First? hah. I always go through about 5 before i ever show it =( But yes Paddy, welcome! Hope to see some work from you soon =)

Yeah, when I started, I went through 4 or 5 "serious" map attempts before I got one that seemed presentable.

Also, welcome to the forum, Paddy. (Even though I just got here myself. =P )

S

Squirrelly

just keep making new maps & trying new things.

Google & this website are your friend & can save u a lot of time.

Don't worry if your first maps aren't that great. My first 30 were terrible now that i look back on them.